favorite movies of 2016

ok i know it's a teensy weensy bit late for this but not really?? i just wanted to talk about my fav movies with yall bc i love film and sigh :))) anyway i've rly been getting into that kinda stuff like i watch more movies than tv shows !! and i started watching this movie called "mustang" which is this turkish film which is rly great and on netflix n i think it still comes on tv but i could b wrong !! anyway here goes nothing ( also these movies r in no specific order and are my favorite movies i've WATCHED in 2016, NOT movies made in 2016 ew )

1. stand by me (1986) -
four boys go on an excursion to find a dead body of a kid their age before school starts up again in the summer.
- honestly a great film one of my favorite 80s movies in the world
- wil wheaton & river phoenix? yes !
- teaches you about the struggles and the adventures of childhood.
- gives you an inside look on the proximity of childhood friends because !! those guys are ur buds for life and they know everything about you :33 u can actually trust them when you're a kid ;)

2. lucas (1986) -
a socially awkward, nerdy outcast falls in love with a girl two years his senior and tries to win her over in the midst of football players, system parents and cheerleaders.
- honestly an adorable, family friendly n cheeky film.
- preaches not to judge people based on what they like or who they are, especially when you don' know their backstory.
- teaches a lot about friendship and being yourself, not to change yourself just to impress anyone !!

3. donnie darko (2001) -
- set in the 80s.
- a young boy, who may have schizophrenia, is told by a 6 foot tall bunny rabbit suit that he has 28 days until the world ends.
- in the parallel universe he is thrown into, he is prompted to destroy and save all at once.
- a stellar movie honestly !! so many unfinished thoughts and theories on this movie and its ending, a philosophical concept of time, reality and the real world.
- jake gyllenhaal is so pretty !!

4. american beauty (1999) -
- a borderline pedophilic man falls in love with his daughter's friend.
- he befriends an older boy who is stalking his daughter (and eventually falls in love with her), and this prompts him to put a change to his boring middle aged loser life and quit his job & become a marijuana smoking teenager again.
- honestly a perfect movie. it touches on almost everything wrong with america's concept of beauty and the american dream. the mother is stressed and rigid, the daughter is unconfident and unloving towards her parents, the father is tired of his life and himself, the girl he falls in love with is a narcissist, but only so because she puts pressure on herself.
- deals with: pedophilia, the pressure of american beauty values on society and young girls as a whole, homophobia, being unhappy with your life and job, neglect of children, nazism and racism, the american dream / american nightmare.
- an amazing movie. i honestly bawled at the end. here's my favorite quote: "I guess I could be pretty pissed off about what happened to me, but it's hard to stay mad when there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once and it's too much. My heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst. And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it. And then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life. You have no idea what I'm talking about I'm sure, but don't worry, you will someday."

5. i love you to death (1990) -
- a wife finds out her italian casanova husband is cheating on her with multiple women.
- as revenge, she tries to murder him with her mom and her friend devo who is in love with her.
- honestly such a funny movie. it's not scary at literally one point even when she's trying to kill him which is a pleasant surprise. it's amusing and light !!
- based on a true story.
- river phoenix and keanu reeves y'all. river and keANU !! what more could you ask for ?

6. license to drive (1988) -
- a kid without a license tries to impress the high school love of his life.
- he takes her out on a date, all while she thinks he has a license.
- honestly such a funny movie and so light hearted !! there's no huge moral lesson but it's cute !!
- corey haim !! COME ON !!

7. the lost boys (1987) -
- two brothers and their single mom move to santa carla, a strange town where people go missing almost every day.
- they meet a pack of vampires, one of whom the older brother gets involved with.
- the younger brother, sam emerson and his two new friends the frog brothers must fight off the pack and save sam's brother from being a vampire forever.
- suCH A good movie and there's a plot twist that i honestly wasn't expecting ?? and plus there's a poster of jim morrison in the vampire cave so huh!
- corey haim !! again !! ahhhh !!

8. roman holiday (1953) -
- a princess that is tired of her life yearns to escape the life of royalty for one day.
- she meets a man who works for a newspaper company on her day out as a regular girl.
- they spend a day or two of adventure together until she has to choose between royalty and a regular life.
- honestly such a pretty movie !! audrey hepburn and gregory peck my mans !! set in italy and was filmed in italy ! i love this movie so much it makes me so happy :DDD.

9. the outsiders (1983) -
- a group of boys from a rough side of town gang called "the greasers" have to deal with an opposing gang - "the socs."
- a soc gang member is murdered by a greaser, who subsequently has to escape with his friend.
- between school fires, love between opposite gangs and friendship, this movie is !!
- honestly a really good story about friendship and family and :) a tearjerker yes but honestly not too horrible.
- the boys will become your boys i'm telling you!

10. the sandlot (1993) -
- nine boys who love to play baseball get themselves in a pickle when awkward new boy scotty smalls arrives in their neighborhood.
- someone must be brave enough to fight off the beast !!
- honestly SUCH a cute movie !! everything about it makes me so super duper happy n makes me smile and i love benny soOoOo much !!
- similar to stand by me and a great movie to watch with friends and family. fun fact: we watched this movie in english class before winter break !! hahaa.

11. running on empty (1988) -
this one is about a kid whose parents are politically involved criminals on the run. he wants to have a life for his own, wants to play piano and be with his new girlie!! it's a quiet movie, slow paced, but very relaxing and entertainingly funny at some points. real emotional!!

12. mustang (2015) -
turkish film about a group of girls (who are sisters!!) that get locked up in a house after being caught with boys, and are taught the female-restraining order and rules of things!! a really emotional, riveting movie and it makes u feel so grateful for being a woman in america (not that we don't have our struggles and that this movie represents all women in turkey.) still a good movie, haven't finished watching it but hey.

13. heathers (1989) -
a newfound, slightly off (largely off) couple go around getting revenge by killing those who've done them wrong and framing their deaths as suicides!! a black(meaning dark, sadly not poc) comedy and really not gory at all. also J.D. is super hot !!

14. what's eating gilbert grape (1993) -
this one doesn't have much of a description but it involves a family consisting of a dead dad, an overweight mom, a mentally handicapped nineteen year old (leonardo dicaprio), a bratty sister, a sister who acts like a mom, and gilbert grape. and his girl. good movie, no real plot, kinda sad too :))

15. the beach (2000) -
a young kid from america moves to thailand in hopes of adventure. he is given a map to an island paradise known as the beach. but soon after he arrives, he realizes even paradise can take a toll on you.

i probably have more from 2016 but it's 2017 now so i'm gonna be adding new faves to this list as the year moves on!!