heathers & christian slater

SPOILERS AHEAD -

so i've watched the movie Heathers twice and i've subsequently came to a decision on how i feel about it.

if you don't know, Heathers is a movie about three popular girls in high school ( all named Heather ), who recruit a girl that thought she wanted to rock with them. her name is Veronica Sawyer. Veronica meets a strange and violent, psych*tic ( literally mentally disturbed ) boy named JD.

They fall in love, and then begin to kill people together and make their deaths look like suicides all because Veronica is good at mimicking peoples' handwriting. however, Veronica didn't know that JD put liquid drainer in their first victims' cup, killing her instantly. so they faked a suicide note. she continued to be with him and killed the next two victims because JD lied to her and told her that they wouldn't die with the plan they'd made.

if i were to rate the movie out of 10, 0 being the worst and 10 being the highest, i would rate this movie a solid 8/10.

i love the movie a lot, my first time seeing it, i felt so empty inside literally this had me in the oddest mood. i was thinking a lot but too little after watching this movie, very mixed emotions & i had no clue why people loved it so much.

i'd seen vine edits of it before and i thought it was a movie about an abusive relationship or something ( and it highly was ) but when i watched it on netflix for the first time i had NO CLUE what this movie was about, and it was around the time that Veronica was having the dream that JD was plotting to kill Heather Duke, i realized how morbid it was and i was really so confused LMAO i deadass thought Heathers was maybe kiddish friendly like good for 10+ idfk.

lmao anyway clearly it's not unless you were like me as a 10 year old who could stomach a lot of things. but anyway, not even a week after watching it for the first time i thought, "hey, maybe i should take a whack at this movie again and see if my thoughts have changed."

so, i watch it again and i realize just how fucking deep this movie is and how it can still be relevant to today ?? because, there's a huge status quo in the film that applies to a bunch of schools.

for example, when JD is writing the fake suicide note, Veronica says that that doesn't even look like Heather Duke's handwriting. JD replies with this:  "You don't get it do you? Society nods its head at any horror the American teenager can think upon itself. Nobody is going to care about exact handwriting."

( JD had written "LIFE SUCKS" on the suicide note ) anywayyy, i related deeply to that because as long as somebody killed themselves, nothing else will matter, their thoughts won't matter, their motives won't matter bla bla bla. nobody will investigate because those teenagers just happen to be another statistic in the teenage suicide rate ;)

next, JD tries to blow up the school ( and honest, this is my favorite scene where he's in the boiler room setting up the bomb and an armed Veronica tries to stop him.) anyway, before JD tells Veronica how to turn off the bomb, he says,
"People will look at the ashes of Westerburg and say, 'Now there's a school that self-destructed, not because society didn't care, but because the school was society.' Now that's deep."

and liTERALLY i say the line "but because the school WAS society!" to myself all the time now because i don't exactly know what it means but here's my take on it.

the school that they go to, Westerburg High, is split up into these pretty obvious cliques and there's an evident social hierarchy in the school. the sort of Populars and the Untouchables ( what I call them.) anyway, society outside of the school is like that too, especially with money which some people wrongly translate as self-worth.

so in society there are the Populars and the Untouchables ( if you really wanna be that dark. ) SO whenever he says that, my idea is that him calling the school society is JD being typical world-loathing JD and saying that everybody is supposed to have a certain place. some places they belong and some places they don't.

then, when JD decides to take the bomb outside where Veronica is, and decides to attach the bomb to himself and thus blow himself up rather than the school and all the students inside of it, he says, "Let's pretend I blew up the school... all the schools. Now that you're dead, what are you gonna do with your life?"

YO I SAY "now that you're dead, what are you gonna do with your life?" TOO MUCH AIDIDID LMAOAO

because yo this could mean multiple things.
1) when we're dead, if there is an afterlife, wtf am i gonna do?
2) if there's no afterlife, what was the point of living or dying ?
3) what are you going to do with the fake reputation you were given for your living self ? because honestly, once you die i think people tend to glorify you a lot more than they usually would. like how when River Phoenix died, even the grimiest news reporters wanted deets on his life and bla bla bla etc etc fuckin sleazy slime fucks.

that's one of my favorite quotes in that film and so is "our love is god. let's go get a slushie."

ohhh and then one thing i agree and disagree with is back when JD and Veronica were arguing in the boiler room while he was setting up the bomb and JD yells: "The only place different social types can genuinely get along is in Heaven."

and i agreed with that but then i disagreed.

AGREED - because yall do not fuckin like each other. i really feel like you could take the most peaceful person in the world and have them meet five other people and there would be that one person they didn't get along with and hated. whereas if they were all to die, and be in heaven where everything is "good", they would get along.

DISAGREED - because that is one SHITTY way to look at the world !! walking talking jesus that is negative. and plus, life doesn't revolve around death 100% of the time. sure, in JD's case, it does, but for people who aren't mentally ill and are a lot less dark, life revolves around living it to the fullest or just living it like your average Joe.

and then we stay in the boiler room and JD goes: "You wanna clean slate as much as I do! Alright, so maybe I am killing everyone in the school because nobody loves me! Let's face it, alright. The only place where different social types can genuinely get along with each other is in heaven."

anyway, when JD said nobody loved him i felt the slightest twinge of guilt and that whole "come here baby boy i will love you kissy kiss kiss bla bla bla throw up throw up vomit" until i realized he LITERALLY killed people on purpose and he tried to r*pe Veronica sooo lemme not.

Veronica: You know what I want, babe?
J.D.: What?! [tries to attack but Veronica shoots him to stop the bomb]
Veronica: [under her breath] Cool guys like you out of my life.

^ THAT'S JUST FUCKIN LIT VERONICAS A BAD ASS BITCH

anyway this movie was really good i really suggest it it's very dark but not as gory as you would expecg and i have no fuckin clue why they made a musical out of it um that really pisses me off.

but aye like i said becky you sound like Winona Ryder (who plays Veronica) a lot maybe less than i thought yesterday but you do sound like her anyways i gotta blast bye guys if you've seen this movie tell me whatcha think!

#zuzaf