|A Rant and Lesson|

I needed to get this off my chest because it is so stupid.
I've mentioned before a while back, that I read old books like 'Of Mice and Men', Agatha Christie Murder Books and very old movies I'll reference every now and then.
. . .
So why am I talking about books?
Well.
It has come to my attention that people are beginning to burn and ban books.
. . .
What.

Today I got a new article about a student want the school to remove 'Of Mice and Men' from an English GCSE requirement because of it's old language and the topics that are touched in the story.
NO KIDDING.
The book that is provided to school, literally had several pages explaining it's old language and the time frame it was written in!
People want to ban or rewrite old books that contain topics or old language that aren't talked about enough.
Which I find complete; Bullshit.

What are they going to do?!
Write Shakespeare's plays, rewrite Mice of Men and Agatha's Murder Novels to the point of them being unrecognisable?!?!?
I know they all have uncomfortable topics, but if you're reading something that was written years ago like a history book then it's normal to feel uncomfortable, but if we didn't read anything from history books to books that were written during those times history would be repeating itself over, over and over again!

I find the whole book banning and book burning to be. . . So disrespectful to not only the writers that passed away but to history itself as the books are made to learn from history!

The last guy that burned books, remember what happened to him?

My parents, when I told them about it, they were rightfully mad and told me that if people got rid off or rewrote the books, it would not only not make any sense for the time frame it was made in, but it would be like trying to hide the fact that all that happened in old books did happen in a sense!
My Dad, has the old books and he said when he read them he not only loved them for the story, but for the lessons they carry in them and my mother is no different from my dad as she too explained that if they try to rewrite old books or ban them we would just learn nothing!!
. . .
It makes me so mad and disappointed that people want to ban old books just because of the language and time frame it was written in.
If you feel uncomfortable reading an old book, that's completely normal because you're not supposed to feel comfortable reading about history and all the horrible things that had happened.
I swear, if I hear that any old book gets banned or another book is burned.
I dunno what I'll do.

But in the comments, what's your thoughts on this and if you have an old book you like whether it be owned by your parents or something school made you read, what were your thoughts on it?
I'll go first.

'Of Mice and Men'
It was an amazing story, about two migrant agricultural labourers going to work on a Ranch to save up money for their own.
We meet so many different people in this short story that represent the time this story was made to be in.

It touched on Lennie having a disability, it touched on stereotypes, racism and basically everything on that was happening in the year that the story takes place.
I love it for the story and the lessons it carries within the book, and if it gets banned I will be seeing red in a matter of seconds I can tell you that much.