Chapter 38: One Last Straw

The three all looked up to the roof as the reamins of Sloth faded away into nothing as her Philosopher's Stone landed on the ground before disintegrating away effectively ending Sloth.

With that all of the 7 Homunculi had finally been defeated.

Whatever was left no one knew.

For now though, peaceful times were coming for HQ, at least, that's what Akari thought until Edward had approached her and said something that Akari didn't wanna hear.

Turns out Edward still hadn't gotten over what had happened between him and Alex as he looked at her.

"No offense to you Ms. Akari. I'm truly grateful for you helping me and my brother out. However, what happened yesterday is something I just cant let slide by so easily regardless of whether or not Alex was lying or not. I gotta tell him something now. Take me to him." Said Edward.

Akari sighed and reluctantly agreed. "Fine. But first let's rest up for a bit. We're all pretty tired." She said.

Edward agreed as he and Alphonse followed Akari as she took the two to a nearby resting area to ease themselves for a bit.

After spending a few hours resting, Ed got up and dusted himself off. "Time to go." He said.

Akari sighed fearing on what could happen but also got up herself as well as Al.

The three continued their trek back to the city.

Eventually they made it to a crossroads when Alphonse said that he wilks infrom Roy of Sloth's defeat.

Ed and Akari nodded and the two continued to make their way to back to the apartment complex until eventually they had walked up the steps to the front door.

Akari took a deep sigh and opened the door as she and Edward both walked into the apartment room.

It was quiet and seemed empty until Akari heard someone from the hallway approach the living room.

That ended up being Alex who initially was happy to see his mom but frowned the moment he caught glimpse of Edward as the two just stared at one another, Akari ready to prevent another altercation at a moment's notice.

The two slowly approached one another and stood face to face as the feeling in the room was palpable to say the very least.

"Wanna take another shot at me? Go ahead. I'll allow it this time." Said Alex as Ed merely chuckled.

"Alex. Me and you have fought through tough circumstances and situations throughout out whole lives. We've had to go up against the toughest of adversaries and enemies on a frequent occurrence. Through the years we've both grown alongside each other, becoming the two shining beacons of Alchemy. You, being the nephew of the Flame Alchemist and apprentice of King Bradley. And me, being the young upstart alchemical prodigy. We're both prodigies. Deep down, I had a feeling it would happen one day, though with less tension. After what happened though, I can't hide it any longer." Said Ed going on a long speech.

Akari was just thankful nothing serious had happened while Alex was just waiting for Ed to get to the point.

Edward's next choice of words though would shock the two as he took a deep breathe.

"Alex. You've been someone I've wanted to fight the most for a long time now. I'm throwing down the challenge now. Alex Mustang vs Edward Elric. Alchemical Prodigy vs Alchemical Prodigy. What do you say?" Asked Edward.

Akari was shocked to hear this as Alex kept quiet initially.

Admittedly he had also wanted to fight Edward for a while now but he has hoped that it would be a friendly sparring match than a full blown duel fueled with bad blood between the two.