Chapter 53: A Decision Made

"Sorry for calling so late and so suddenly. This is Kevin by the way."

He should've expected this, but, he definitely didn't expect Kevin to reach out now, and especially the day before Infiltration.

At first Alex though this was a trap but he knew that Kevin wasn't that type of person, or, at least he hoped he wasn't.

"I'm actually rather close by. Would you mind lending me an ear?" He asked. "There's something important we need to talk about, and, if you do intend to confront me, then it'll give me time to prepare myself." Said Kevin.

Alex knew that he had no other choice but to have a chat with him.

"Alright then. We'll talk." He said.

"Thank you. I'll be at your door shortly. See ya later." Said Kevin as he ended the call.

Alex spent the time excruciatingly waiting for Kevin to arrive.

He kept thinking on if there was a secret motive behind Kevin calling him so late.

It racked and nagged at his brain for minutes, making this way more complicated and complex than it needed to be.

All Alex knew was that he didn't know how this meeting was gonna go down, but, he definitely had to keep his guard up.

After waiting for a few more excruciatingly long minutes, there a knock at the door.

Alex went and opened the door as Kevin stood there.

After allowing him in, Alex closed the door as the two sat at the kitchen table across from one another.

"Sorry for the last minute visit. How's Ms. Kaslana holding up?" He asked. "I've been concerned about a potential relaspe, considering her difficulties with accepting this reality."

"She's doing fine." Said Alex.

"I see....no, that's great news. So, getting down to business. I wanted to confirm with you one last time. Is there no other way to come to an agreement besides fighting?" Asked Kevin.

"We can't accept this reality." Said Alex.

"The reality I created may seem distorted from your point of view, but it's a reality where everyone is happy. If you just stay, you'll never have to suffer the pain of loss, or the pain from having people and things stolen away from you."

"What was stolen from you then?"

That question kept Kevin quiet for a bit until he finally spoke.

"I had a close connection with someone. A female doctor we only knew as Dr. MEI. People thought it was odd for me to have an eye on her, but, besides her huge obsession over science, I could see through her that she was an honest and caring person. After our defeat at the hands of the Final Herrscher, I was fully prepared to leave this planet with her, by her side. Then, she had wanted me to keep her promise alive. One where the Honkai was finally gone and everyone lived happily. That promise to keep everyone happy is what you call a 'distorted reality'." Said Kevin.

"Why didn't you bring her back instead?" Asked Alex.

"If Dr. MEI were in my position, I'm highly positive she'd do the same. Keep my soul at ease while also keeping the promise alive." Said Kevin.

'Kevin and this Dr. MEI person. It's obvious that the two were meant for one another. Kevin genuinely wants what's best for everyone.' Thought Alex.