Chapter 48: Time's Up

[1 Days Late: 6 of 7. Evening]

In an instant the week had passed as tomorrow was the deadline of Alex and Otto's decision to agree with Kevin and accept his reality or continue to fight against it.

As Alex sat on his bed ready to go to bed,he received and call and answered it.

"It's me." Said Otto who had called him. "I've uncovered a few things in my investigation this week, so, I thought I'd share my findings with you."

"Alright then. What'd you find?" Asked Alex

"First, regarding Kevin himself, it seems that in old documents, he had always had the power to alter reality, thought not at the scale we see now. That should be isn't it?" He asked as Alex agreed. "I'll let you in on a little secret. Remember how Kevin said how this reality would permanently eliminate the Honkai? Well, unfortunately that isn't the case. You see, no matter what humanity does, the Honkai will never be fully eradicated, but that's besides the point. Regardless, it's clear that Kevin is dead set on "saving" people. I mean after all he distorted reality itself to make his dream come true. I can only imagine how delighted he is right now." Said Otto, going quiet for a bit before seemingly remembering something.

"Ah that reminds me. There was one more thing I wanted to tell you. About the reality Kevin put us in. It seems that my fiancée Kallen and your father Akira, as well as your mentor Bradley are all considered alive by all accounts." Said Otto which confused Alex.

"Wait. They're not dead anymore?" He asked.

"They aren't mere illusions or cognitive beings. They truly are alive and existing in this world. In fact, their deaths have never seem to have taken place in this reality.' Explained Otto. "Another odd thing is that neither me or you have appeared in any scalding news at all. Neither have we been getting stares of disapprovement from our people. Essentially, you and I have never committed anything heinous or infamous in this reality. I don't understand how Kevin was able to distort reality to such extremes, but at the very least, he was being honest when he told us that he'd make such revisions, and rather convenient ones as well."

Alex knew asking this question was stupid but he just had to get it off his chest.

"Are you a fan so far?" He asked.

"That's quite the funny joke. It makes me want to puke. Remaining in this Kevin revised reality means living under his thumb forever, and I refuse to live like that. I'll be the one to choose my own path. That's how I've lived up to now, and, it's going to continue from here until the end, but, what about you?" Ended Otto with a question that Alex was expecting.

"You saw them for yourself didn't you? Your family. Friends. And even the valkyries have all seem to have taken a liking to Kevin's version of reality. Don't tell me you've changed your mind after seeing all of them."

Alex took a long time to answer.

While it was morally right to fight for the real reality, to Alex, that decision would also mean he was being selfish and strip everyone else of their own happy realities.

After thinking a bit more, he answered.

"Don't worry about it. I'm focused on the same goal as you." He said.

"I see. I pray your answer doesn't change when we face Kevin tomorrow. Well then, that takes care of the info I wanted to share. See you soon." Said Otto.

"Same to you. See ya at the hill tomorrow." Said Alex as he ended the call.

As he did he heard a voice call to him.