Interesting Differences(Varys x fem!reader)

When you first arrived in King's Landing, you didn't really know many people, but one person would soon catch your interest. Lord Varys. When he first grabbed your attention, you tried to find out as much as you could. The only things anyone could tell you was that he was a eunuch and the Master of Whispers to the king. Apparently Varys kept mostly to himself so you decided to take matters into your own hands and introduce yourself.

"Lord Varys," you greeted with a smile as he was leaving the throne room. "Lady Y/N. To what do I owe this pleasant surprise?" You arched a brow. "Surely it isn't a surprise to you, Lord Varys. They tell me you know everything about everyone. All their comings and goings." Varys chuckled lightly.

"That is true, for certain. However, based on what I've heard about you, you do not appear to be a threat to either the realm or myself. I saw no need to further investigate you." You nodded a bit, not letting the smile leave your face. "I would surely not be a threat to you, Lord Varys, unless you consider forming a friendship to be threatening."

"Friendship?" he questioned with a raised brow. You nodded. "Yes, Lord Varys. You...intrigue me and I would very much like for us to become friends. I think we could all use a true friend or two right now, don't you?" Varys narrowed his eyes a little as he studied your face. Your eyes never left his face as you waited, albeit a little impatiently. Slowly, a small careful smile made its way to Varys' lips. "I do indeed. Shall we then?" With a light laugh, you looped your arm through Varys', being careful of his oversized sleeves.

*time skip brought to you by Tormund's beard*

The friendship between you and Varys grew more quickly than you ever expected. You became each other's closest confidantes. You told one another everything. You even heard the real story of what had happened to Varys as a child and your heart had broken for him. As you had suspected, your friendship with Varys was the best part of being in King's Landing.

But soon, you found yourself craving more than just his friendship. It was stupid, you knew, but you couldn't seem to help it. You knew Varys wasn't going to be alright with such a thing, so you tried to bury your feelings. The more you buried them, however, the stronger they seemed to become, like the roots of a tree. Your affection for him soon turned into something you never expected. Love.

The fact that you had fallen in love with your closest friend scared you. In a place like King's Landing, where life was always in a precarious place, love was a luxury few could afford. Not to mention, you had no clue how Varys would react if he found out. Hiding your feelings and trying to ignore them didn't help so you did the only thing you could think of. You began to avoid Varys. Something the Master of Whispers found upsetting, much to his surprise.

"Something is troubling you, My Lady." Varys' voice caught you by surprise. You had been "hiding" from him in the library and gardens all day. You should have known that if Varys wanted to find you, he would. Clearing your throat, you stood to face him as you brush non-existent dirt from your skirts. You still weren't going to look at him though.

"I don't know what you mean, Lord Varys." Varys' brows drew together. You hadn't called him by his title in private for a long time. Not since the two of you shared the darkest parts of your pasts. "If there is nothing troubling you, then why won't you meet my eyes?" You licked your lips and sighed. The man had a way of wiggling the truth out of you, even when you didn't want him to.

"Because I'm afraid," you admitted softly. Varys was quiet for a moment before he asked what you meant. He had never known you to be afraid of much. You held back your tears as you continued, "I am afraid of what I would see in your eyes if you knew the truth." You heard the shuffling of robes as Varys stepped a little closer to you, in case you divulged some sordid secret he didn't already know.

"The truth of what, Y/N? Tell me." You finally brought your gaze up to meet his. You were surprised to see as much concern as you did. You knew Varys felt things deeply even though he attempted to hide it, but you never expected him to care so much. It made it easier to just let the truth slip out.

"The truth of my feelings. For you. I love you, Varys. I don't even know how it happened or why, but that's the truth. I love you." When Varys didn't say anything, you took a deep breath and began backing away from him. "Forgive me, I'm being foolish. Good day," you said as you turned on your heel and ran.

You managed to avoid Varys for the rest of the day. It was quite easy to do so in your own chambers. You even told your handmaiden that you would take supper in your room. You couldn't fight the surprised gasp when you opened the door for her later, but instead found Varys standing there.

"Varys!" you exclaimed. "May I come in?" Without hesitation, you moved aside to let him in and your handmaiden followed a moment later, looking between you in confusion. "Thank you. Leave us, please," you ordered, "And tell no one." She nodded and scurried away without question.

"Why are you here, Varys?" you asked when the door closed behind your maid, "I know you have not come to torture or humiliate me. That isn't your way. Besides, I did that on my own earlier."

"I have not. You ran before I could speak. You must understand, Y/N, I have no experience in this. Love is a foreign concept to me. I know what it means to feel love, but have never felt it for anyone nor had anyone feel it for me. For perhaps the first time in my life, I was at a loss for words."

"Is this supposed to make me feel better?" Varys looked at you, unimpressed. "I wasn't finished, Y/N. I have nothing to offer you. You are a lady in your own right. You have all the riches you could possibly wish for. You have access to your own secrets. I cannot give you children. I cannot even offer you anything physically. The only thing I have to my name that cannot be taken from me is loyalty. If you will ask it, I would give it to you in an instant."

You stared at him in disbelief. You knew it was the closest he would come to saying that he loved you. At least until he grew used to the feeling. Varys' loyalty was not easily won. Not truly. He could play the part well, but his loyalty changed depending on what or who was best for the realm. You had no part in that so you knew exactly what he meant by his words.

"That's not true, Varys. You have much to offer. You have your companionship, your wit, your love. And yes, your loyalty. And there is so much more than sex in a relationship and sex isn't the only physical part. It is something we could discover together, if you wish to. The only thing that matters to me is that I love you and I want to know if you love me as well."

"I believe I might." With a smile, you stepped closer to him. You very slowly reached out and touched the fabric of his robes. Varys' eyes never left your face and your eyes never left his. You watched for any sign of discomfort. When you saw none, you gently pushed the long sleeves back, revealing his hands clasping his wrists. You carefully detached one hand from his wrist, letting your fingers softly brush the skin.

Varys shuddered and let his eyes drift to your hands, but didn't protest. You linked your fingers with his. He looked up at you. No words were exchanged. For once, there didn't seem to be a need for them. You stood there looking into Varys' eyes and that was all you needed.