Never Work (Beric Dondarrion x male!reader)

(This is in 3rd person POV as it's easier for me to write male!reader fics that way)

Y/N didn't think this would happen. When he joined the Brotherhood Without Banners, Y/N had only wanted to help bring justice to the realm. He didn't thin k he'd come to care so damn much for their leader. The seemingly fearless, ever-oblivious Beric Dondarrion.

From the moment he joined the Brotherhood, Y/N had begun falling in love with Beric. Of course, it would never work. Seeing as this was Westeros and there were certain taboos, Beric would most likely never be interested in Y/N. Beric was probably attracted to women. So Y/N kept his feelings to himself, but that didn't stop him from flirting every chance he got.

Flirting was something that Y/N had done a lot growing up. He had been close with Renly Baratheon, but Renly was the bigger flirt. And of course, when Renly met Loras, that was the end of Y/N and Renly's relationship. So, flirting wasn't exactly Y/N's forte, but he figured that would make his feelings obvious without actually saying anything to Beric. The others had started catching on, but Beric said nothing. Y/N was beginning to wonder if there was even a point. He didn't realize that Beric wasn't as clueless as he let on.

Beric had indeed noticed Y/N's subtle comments. He had noticed the lingering gazes along with the embarrassed looks when he was caught staring. He'd noticed how Y/N seemed to try and show off a little when the two of them were fighting side by side. Or how Y/N was always the first to jump in between Beric and an enemy if necessary. He questioned why at first, but eventually (and he'd admit it took MONTHS), Beric realized that the man had feelings for him and was hiding them. Why, Beric didn't know, but he was going to find out when the opportunity arose.

The opportunity arose a few weeks after Beric's discovery when the Brotherhood was set upon once again by a few of gold cloaks. This time, when Y/N rushed to Beric's side, it was nearly too late. Y/N got between Beric and an enemy. Y/N's sword stopped the gold cloak's, but he didn't notice the archer until it was too late.

Beric didn't see him either as he was on Beric's blind side, but he heard the arrow zipping through the air. He heard it sink into flesh. And he heard Y/N let out a sharp cry of pain. It all happened so quickly, no one else noticed until the fight was finished. Only then did Beric understand fully what had happened.

Y/N was not in good shape when they were finally able to set up camp that evening. Beric and Thoros did their best to keep the young man comfortable until he could be tended to. When the sun finally set and the camp was up, Y/N was taken into Beric's own tent and Thoros began to try and heal him. Beric sat with Y/N as Thoros worked, his mind racing. He trusted the Lord of Light's will, but he didn't want to lose Y/N yet. He wasn't ready for him to die.

"Let the boy rest, Dondarrion," Thoros told him when he'd finished then left the tent. Beric sighed and rested his elbows on his knees. "That was stupid, my friend. If the Lord was ready to for me to die, you should have let me." Beric jumped a little when he heard a groan from the man on the bed.

"The Lord of Light may have been ready for you, but I wasn't ready for you to die." Beric shook his head fondly as Y/N opened his eyes. "Glad to see I was successful," Y/N whispered, but Beric's one eye showed no signs of joy. "Why did you do that?" Y/N shrugged, wincing at the pain the movement caused.

"You were the closest one that needed saving." Beric's gaze turned steely. He didn't appreciate being lied to. "That isn't it. I know it isn't. Now, tell me why you thought you had to step in."

"Because I love you and I couldn't watch you die again! What if Thoros can't bring you back next time?" As the reality of Y/N's confession dawned on him, his words died in his throat and his eyes widened. But, to his surprise, Beric Dondarrion was smiling. For a moment, Y/N was confused, but then a look of understanding crept into his gaze. "You knew? And you just let me make a fool of myself?"

Beric chuckled. "I knew. But I did not let you do anything. You did that all on your own. I simply waited for you to reveal your true feelings in case I was mistaken. I notice more than people give me credit for, Y/N. And you, for all your skills, should be more observant. If you were, you would have noticed that I feel the same for you."

Y/N's jaw fell open and he blinked rapidly in surprise. It was an almost comical sight to Beric, but he held back his laughter. "B-But...I don't understand. I thought that you would prefer women. Most men do." Beric merely shrugged. "Men. Women. I love who I love and now, I love you." He took Y/N's hand a squeezed it. "I need to see to the Brothers. Rest now. We'll talk more later." Beric turned to walk away, but thought better of it. Instead, he turned back and dropped a quick peck to Y/N's lips before exiting the tent, leaving Y/N to rest feeling like his face was aflame.