Severed (Jorah Mormont x fem!reader) Soulmate AU

The string of fate; the bane of your very existence. It wasn't that you didn't want a soulmate. In fact, you were rather pleased with who you were tied to. Jorah was a kind man. He was better than most of the men you had met before. Had he made mistakes? Of course he had, but he had changed. So of course you had no problem with him. He was the one with the problem and it was such an issue for him, he had demanded the unthinkable.

"You can't be serious," you stated, not at all believing what you were hearing. This was almost unheard of. "I assure you I am. We-I cannot be fated to you. You're too young." You scoffed and called him out on his bull. "Don't lie to me, Jorah. I'm your soulmate. I can tell. This isn't about my age. It's about her. Daenerys who, by the way, is younger than I and who already sadly lost her soulmate. You're in love with her." You weren't yelling or crying, simply stating facts even if they did hurt you. He never gave you a chance.

Jorah's POV

Jorah nearly flinched as you called him out. You were, of course, correct. He was in love with Daenerys. At least, he thought he was. And then you appeared like an apparition out of nowhere and he suddenly wasn't so sure. Still, he was adamant that he wasn't going to be tied to someone he didn't love.

"I-If that is what you truly want, then I will not deny you. But I have one condition: We travel together to the Maesters in the Citadel. They are more versed in these matters and can sever the bond without harming either of us. I would at least like the chance to get to know you and for you to get to know me. If you have not changed your mind by the time we arrive, then I will not argue about severing the bond. Are we agreed?"

Jorah could feel your eyes on him as you waited for him to make a decision. After a moment, he found himself nodding. "Very well. We leave at first light." With a soft sigh, you gave him a solitary nod and left the room. Every step you took away from him felt like a dagger in his soul that he tried his hardest to ignore. This was for the best. He couldn't keep himself bound to you when he wouldn't love you the way you deserved. At least that's what he kept telling himself.

The next morning, Jorah was surprised to see you already waiting for him. You gave him a sad smile as you mounted your own horse. Jorah cast a glance back at the castle. He hated leaving Daenerys, but that was another reason he had to do this. He almost missed the soft scoff you let out.

"Could we get a move on? The sooner we go, the sooner you'll be free of me," you demanded and for once you actually sounded angry. You didn't speak again as the two of you set off toward the Citadel. In fact, you didn't speak at all for the entirety of your first day of travel. It actually began to worry Jorah a bit. As long as he'd known you, you'd never been one to keep quiet when you were passionate about something. It wasn't until you had stopped for the night that you spoke again, though it was only to bid Jorah a good night.

You finally began speaking fully again the next afternoon. Jorah noticed that the further away you got from Daenerys, the better your mood became. He supposed he couldn't blame you. In your eyes, Daenerys was the obstacle in the way of what fate had planned for you. He didn't want to be on the end of your anger, so Jorah listened as you chattered, not saying anything in return. And when you asked questions, he gave short answers.

"Dammit, Jorah, you aren't holding up your end of the bargain! You said we would get to know each other and yet you won't contribute beyond one or two words." You huffed a little, causing Jorah to turn to you. He was about to ask why should if you were going to act like a child, but he saw the tears forming in your eyes. He hated seeing women cry especially if he was the cause.

"I suppose you're right. I did agree to your conditions. Ask me anything and I swear, I will answer with all honesty." You didn't reply, but gave him a watery smile instead. After a few moments, you tried again and Jorah kept true to his word, answering everything with ease.

*time skip*

You giggled lightly at Jorah's joke. He didn't tell them often, preferring to stay serious most of the time, but you had told him one and he thought it was only fair to return the favor. As you laughed, Jorah watched your face. He didn't know how he hadn't noticed it before, but you were truly lovely to look at, especially when you smiled. The realization hit him like a rock.

Jorah wasn't one to deny when he was wrong and he was absolutely wrong about you. You were everything he'd ever looked for in a lover. Kind, caring, witty, charming, and unafraid to stand up for those you loved. You truly were meant for him. As the days carried on, Jorah found himself thinking about Daenerys less and less. Instead, his thoughts turned to you.

He thought about how you looked at him when you were unimpressed by something he'd said or done. He thought about how your eyes lit up when you found something exciting. Or how your lips(which he wouldn't mind kissing, if he was being honest) would spread into a smile that you tried to hide whenever you tried not to laugh. If Jorah was being honest, he would admit that fate had been right and he was falling for you, his soulmate.

"What has you so troubled?" Jorah shook himself from his thoughts at the sound of your voice. He must have looked confused because you smiled again and said, "You're making that face again. The one that you make when you're thinking too much or worrying about something." Jorah blinked in surprise. You'd noticed the various expressions on his face and what they meant?

"You don't have to tell me, of course. After tomorrow you'll-you'll be rid of me," you reminded him, your voice grower softer at the end. Jorah glanced around and realized that you were right. You would be in the Citadel the next day so the Grand Maesters could sever the soul bond between you. Was that still what he wanted?

Jorah didn't say another word for the rest of the evening as you set up camp for the night. You hated traveling at night especially as the nights grew colder. One more night of rest wouldn't hurt. It was said that the severing process could be painful and was most definitely exhausting for all parties involved. Still, even as he thought about it, Jorah said nothing. He couldn't.

When you woke the next day, Jorah was still awake. He had been unable to sleep with all the thoughts bouncing in his head, mainly the memory of the look on your face when you'd reminded him that the journey was nearly done. It was so broken, it hurt Jorah to look at.

"Shall we move on then?" you asked in a voice barely above a whisper, "The sooner we finish, the sooner you can return to Daenerys." You turned to walk away, but Jorah was faster. His hand shot out and gently grabbed yours. You glanced back at him in confusion.

"No," was all Jorah said, causing your brows to furrow even further down over your eyes. "No? I don't understand." Jorah let his blue eyes met your (e/c) ones. "I can't do it. I can't sever the bond." You shook your head in disbelief. "But that's what you wanted! Am I suppose to continue to suffer by watching you in love with another woman while my heart breaks and our bond frays and frays until it unravels completely? I-I never thought you to be a cruel man, Jorah Mormont but clearly-"

Jorah had enough and pulled you to him, cutting off your protests as your hands came to rest on his chest. "I do not wish you to suffer, Y/N. Quite the opposite. I can't sever the bond because I don't love Daenerys. Not the way I believed I did. How can I when fate has chosen the perfect woman for me? I can't sever the bond because I would be an idiot to cause such pain to my soulmate. I can't because I think I love you. And if I do not yet, I am certain it won't be long before I do. Please forgive me for my stubbornness, Y/N and answer me this: could you learn to love a stubborn fool?" Your answer was a near-bruising kiss to his lips that he happily returned.