Idiots in Love part 2 (Davos x reader)

Davos made his way to your chambers in haste. It was still very late so he was certain that's where you'd be headed. He got there just as the door closed behind you. Wasting no time, Davos knocked on the door. He only hoped you wouldn't send him away. The door swung open again to reveal your frowning face.

"What have I done to deserve such cruelty?" you asked in a hushed voice, almost as if Davos wasn't meant to hear it. So he pretended he didn't. "May I come in?" Your brows drew together, but you stepped aside to allow the older gentleman in. Once inside, Davos searched his brain for the right words to say. He hadn't been this nervous in a long time and he certainly didn't want you to feel any worse that you already did.

"I'm an old man, Y/N." Your eyes widened like you weren't expecting him to say that. You opened your mouth to protest, but Davos raised a hand to stop you with a smile. "There can be no denying it. I'm not as young as I once was. The thought that you would have feelings for a man like me...it seemed impossible. I'm not a man of many words, Y/N. I never have been, but there have only been a handful of people I have loved in my life. You are one of them."

Okay, so not the best love confession in the entire world. As he had said, Davos was a man of few words. A simple man who preferred simple things and saying what he meant rather than beating about the bush. You blinked at him in amazement as your brain struggled to catch up to the fact that he had just confessed his love to you.

"Have I broken you?" he asked gently with a soft, teasing smile. You glared at him, but there was no malice behind it. "You love me? Truly?" Davos nodded, his blue-grey eyes never leaving your face. The man wasn't a coward even in a situation that would make a lot of people frightened. And he didn't lie unless there was a damned good reason. You stepped close to him. Davos carefully wrapped his arms around you. Lightening seemed to crackle between you since neither of you could look away from the other's eyes.

Your hand reached up to cup Davos' bearded cheek. The hair there tickled your palm, but you didn't move it. The other hand rested above his heart. "I love you, Davos." A small smile graced his lips. "I'd like to kiss you," he told you, his voice lowering a bit and sending shivers down your spine, "If you'll let me." Your tongue darted out to lick your lips and you nodded.

Davos' face drew even closer. His lips brushed yours but didn't press against them. He was giving you a chance to change your mind. Your heart raced in your chest and you could feel Davos' doing the same under your hand. Before you could close the gap between you, your door swung open again.

"Y/N, I was hoping you- Oh! I am so sorry!" Sansa cried before darting from the room. You and Davos looked at each other again before breaking down in laughter. "I s-should see what she needs," you said after a moment. You gave him a smile. "Some other time?" Davos leaned in and kissed your cheek. "Any time you're ready, love."

He reluctantly let you go and you practically floated from the room. Davos watched you go with a grin on his face. His stupidity had cost him his happiness with you for too long. Now, he looked forward to seeing what was in store for the two of you. For the first time in a while, Davos felt light and happy. He felt like a young man again, waiting to kiss the person he'd been pining over for so long. And he knew, when it finally happened, it would be one of the best moments of your life together. And that was worth waiting for.

(a/n: I know it's short, but I like the way it ended)