Dinner(Podrick Payne x fem!Lannister reader)

There was an odd duck in every family. In House Lannister, it was you. It wasn't that you were really odd. You were just different than the others in your family. You were as intelligent as the rest of your family. You could be cunning and had a strategic mind like them. The difference was how you used your mind. You used it to solve the problems of others instead of searching for power or knowledge. You were sweet and cared about others more than the rest of your family.

That didn't mean they didn't love you. In fact, they did. You were close with many people in the Red Keep, but none more than your older brother Tyrion, his friend Bronn, and his squire Podrick. The four of you had weekly suppers where the wine flowed and the laughter was plenty. They were your favorite times of the week. Especially on nights like tonight.

You weren't drinking as much as Tyrion and Bronn, but that didn't stop them from poking fun at poor Podrick. He drank a little too, but when he drank, he became a blushing and stuttering mess. Well, more of one than he normally was around you. You thought it was utterly adorable and decided to tell him so.

Tyrion and Bronn had both reached the point where they had too much to drink. They were both slumped over the table, snores echoing through the room. You and Podrick sat next to each other where you continued talking and laughing at the two of them. Podrick's cheeks were tinted pink and his brown eyes kept swinging over to you when he thought you weren't looking. It was clear that at least some part of him wanted to forget that outside of your personal spaces, you were a lady and he was a squire. You wanted that too. You wanted Podrick to be yours and only yours. And you had habit of going for what you wanted, consequences be damned.

"What?" you asked him. His cheeks got darker and he mumbled something. You asked again and he said a little louder, "You're beautiful." You felt your own face heat up, but you didn't say anything at first. Despite the fact that you had an idea that Podrick had feelings for you, hearing him say them made you giddy.

"I should go. Lord Tyrion will need me in the morning," he muttered, moving to rise. Your hand moved of its own accord, shooting out to grab Podrick's gently. "Wait. Please." Podrick's eyes met yours. You nearly melted under his gaze when he sat back down. You licked your lips, cheering inside when his eyes instantly darted down to them.

"I think you're beautiful too, Podrick." Podrick laughed and shook his head, but you were adamant. "You are! You're so handsome. And charming. Kind. Witty. You have a beautiful soul, Podrick Payne." You were proud that, in spite of your drinking, you hadn't lost any of you confidence or eloquence.

Podrick merely stared at you for a moment as if he were trying to take in all that you had said. You giggled slightly before reaching up to run your fingers through his hair. It was softer than you had imagined. Podrick practically preened under your touch for a moment before clearing his throat. He gingerly took your hand to remove it from his hair. "My lady-Y/N. T-This isn't right." You arched a brow. "Y-You're a lady. I'm just...just a squire."

"Oh shut it with that. You know I've never cared about that. You mean more to me than just my brother's squire. I love you, Podrick." You both froze. You hadn't meant to say that out loud. Your eyes met again. Podrick's brown irises were swirling with a mix of confusion, surprise, and pure adoration. It gave you the boost you needed to repeat yourself. "I love you." You gripped his hand a little tighter to emphasize that you were serious.

Podrick gave you a sad smile. "I-I thought...I mean, I had hoped that you felt the same. But we can't, Y/N. I mean, my lady." You let out an annoyed sigh. "Podrick, do you love me?" He instantly nodded his head. "Very much." You smiled as you slid a little closer to him. "And I love you. Behind these doors, we aren't Lady Y/N or a squire. We're just Y/N and Podrick, two people who love each other. I want to be with you, Podrick. I don't care what anyone else has to say about it. I want this if you do."

"I do, but-" you cut him off by placing your free hand on his cheek. He nearly stopped breathing, as if his mind couldn't catch up to the fact that you were so close. "No 'buts'. Even if we have to keep it a secret, I want to explore what this is. This is my choice. You are my choice. Am I yours?"

A particularly loud snore caused you to jump, breaking up the staring contest you were having. Podrick took that opportunity to rise and offered his hand to help you up. "We should go." Your heart sank to your feet. You weren't used to this type of heartbreak. As you and Podrick walked down the corridors, you felt unbidden tears pricking your eyes.

Outside your chambers, you tried to run into your room without looking at Podrick. You needed to be away from him. But his hand on your arm stopped you. "Y/N?" You faced him, tears streaming down your face. Podrick frowned. He reached up to dry your tears. His touch was so gentle, it sent a shiver through you. "Don't cry, my Y/N," he whispered.

"How can I not? Y-You don't want to take a chance on us." It was Podrick's turn to look confused before a soft smile made its way to his face. "I didn't get the chance to answer you," he said softly, taking a step closer to you. You were trapped between him and the door to your chambers. He leaned in closer to lean his forehead on yours.

"You are my choice, Y/N. You will always be my choice." He placed a feather-light kiss to your forehead and then to your cheek. "Podrick?" He hummed in response. "Come inside?" His eyes widened comically, making you giggle in the dark, empty corridor. "Nothing like that. Although, I would like to experience what Baelish's girls did some day, I just...I just want you to hold me for now."

Podrick grinned and nodded, prompting you to open your chamber door. Not wanting him to be uncomfortable, you kept your dress on as you pulled him toward your bed. As soon as you were lying down, he wrapped his arms around you. You felt his lips on the top of your head. "I love you," he breathed out. His breath tickled and made another shiver run down your spine.

You looked up at him. "I love you, too." The hand that wasn't wrapped around you came up to cup your cheek. He lightly ran his thumb across your skin. You couldn't pull your eyes away from his even if you wanted to. The only time you did was when closed them as your lips finally met for the first time. And when they did, you weren't sure you'd ever want to stop.