I Hate That I Don't Hate You (Part 2)

(Jaime x fem!Stark reader, picks up right where part 1 left off.)

Jaime turned to see you behind him, arms crossed in silent fuming. Though you said nothing, the tears welling up in your eyes were apparent. "Y/N, I-" You shook your head, cutting him off. "I can't believe I was so...so...STUPID! I can't believe I let you into my life. I was wrong. And so stupid. I let myself feel something for you." Jaime felt his heart lurch in his chest at that, but before he could say anything, you turned away from him. As you moved to leave, you glanced back over your shoulder. "My mistake." And then you were gone.

For weeks after that, whenever Jaime saw you, his heart hurt a little bit more. When you would catch him staring, you would either ignore him, flip him the bird, or leave as quickly as possible. If not for the fact that you both shared a class together, it would have been easy for the two of you to never see interact with one another again. Jaime wasn't sure he could have handled that. Especially since he tried every single way he could to apologize to you. You just didn't want anything to do with him.

As it happened, though, luck was on Jaime's side when your teacher assigned you as partners for an assignment. "Meet me in the library after school," was all you said in a clipped tone when Jaime turned to you. At then you were gone again. Jaime sighed heavily. At least you'd spoken to him.

That afternoon, Jaime entered the library and went looking for you. He made his way to the very back of the library since he knew you preferred studying away from everyone else. Like Jaime suspected, he found your belongings first, tucked away at one of the back tables. You weren't there which meant you were probably looking for books for the project.

Jaime sat down and began fiddling with anything within reach. It was a habit his father had always despised when Jaime was younger so Jaime tried not to engage in the behavior, but he was nervous. It was his first time speaking to you since your "breakup". Could he even call it that? Had you been dating or was he making things bigger than they were?

As anxiety made Jaime's leg begin to bounce in his seat, Jaime's eyes landed on a sheet of paper sticking out of your book. He wasn't intending to snoop, really, but he knew you liked everything in its place neatly when it came to school. So he grabbed the book and opened it so he could neatly place your paper back in. He noticed spots on the paper that looked like they had been wet by something. Jaime let his eyes scan the written words on the paper and instantly discovered what the wet spots had been.

I hate the way you look at me. And how you wear your hair. I hate the way you smile at me and how you make me stare. I hate how you make me laugh. And how you act like you don't care. I hate myself for letting you in. Now I'm hurt beyond repair. But the worst of it is, I hate that I don't hate you. Not...

"Find something interesting?" your voice snapped Jaime away from his reading. You glared at him with tears in your eyes. "Y/N..." You shook your head and moved to grab your stuff. Jaime gently grabbed your arm. "Let me go," you whispered as the gathering tears began to fall down your cheeks. Jaime stood, "Talk to me, Y/N. I've apologized a hundred times and I don't know what else to do."

"There is nothing. I hate you, Jaime." Jaime's eyes glanced back down at the paper. "No you don't. You're hurt. I understand that, but you don't hate me any more than I hate you." You scoffed and tore your arm from his grip. You gathered your things as quickly as you could and turned to leave the library.

"I love you!" Jaime called, earning several shushes from other students. You froze. Jaime took the chance to move to stand in front of you again. "I love you," he said again when you looked up at him. "Don't. That isn't funny, Jaime."

"I'm not being funny, Y/N. Yes, I made a mistake. I let someone bribe me into asking you out when I should have just done it myself. I was stupid, I fully admit that. I never thought that I-I could fall for you. And once I did, I thought there was no way you'd ever feel the same, but dammit, I love you. I will shout it as loudly as you wish."

He opened his mouth again, probably to follow through. You quickly slapped your hand over his mouth. "Don't," you whispered. You moved your hand and Jaime sighed. "Please, Y/N. I messed up, but please, give me another chance?" You bit your lip, thinking for a moment before you nodded slowly. "One more chance, Jaime."

Jaime grinned widely and his hands came up to cup your cheeks. "You won't regret it." He leaned in to kiss you, only to be stopped by someone clearing their throat. You both glanced over to find the librarian's icy stare on you. Jaime's face instantly heated up. "We'll, uh, take this elsewhere," he mumbled, grabbing his belongings and then your hand to quickly exit the library with you. Once outside, the two of you burst into a fit of laughter.