Don't Blame Yourself (Robb Stark x fem!reader)

(Mentions of injuries!)

From the moment you and Robb announced your betrothal, you became somewhat protective over his siblings, especially the youngest boys. They were going to be your brothers by marriage and you wanted them to be happy and healthy. Unfortunately for you, that meant keeping an almost constant eye on Bran, due to his love of climbing. No matter how often you or his mother told him, the boy just couldn't seem to stop climbing, something that would be both his and your downfall.

You were rushing around Winterfell, trying to find Bran when you saw Summer. "Summer, where is he?" The direwolf yelped and bounced up and down. With furrowed brows, you glanced up just in time to see Bran falling from the tower. You tried not to panic and prayed that you'd be able to catch him. If he fell from that height, he would surely die.

You didn't manage to catch Bran the way you wanted to. In your effort to place yourself correctly, you tripped over the skirt of your dress and fell. You did manage to catch Bran. With your legs. You heard the sickening crunch of your legs breaking...or maybe it was Bran's back. You didn't know. All you knew was that Bran wasn't moving and you were in more pain than you'd ever been in your life.

"Bran? Bran?" you questioned, hissing in pain. You placed your hand on his chest and let out a sigh of relief when you felt him breathing. "Thank the gods. HELP!" You didn't have to yell long before people were at your side. "Y/N?!" Robb's voice sounded panicked. "I'm alright." You moved to stand, but the pain made you cry out and sink back to the ground. Robb scooped you up in his arms, wincing when you screamed again.

A few moments later, you were in your chambers. The septa was tending to you until Maester Luwin could join you. He was tending to Bran, so you didn't mind the wait. Robb, however, was an anxious mess. "Robb Stark, stop pacing! You are driving me mad. Go and see Bran!" you snapped. It wasn't that you weren't grateful to Robb or that you didn't want him there. You just couldn't handle his agitated state.

Instead of leaving, Robb turned to you. "Leave us," he ordered the septa. She looked at him with a raised brow and he sighed. "Please. I wish to speak to my betrothed alone." She nodded before leaving the room. Once she was gone, a different look came over Robb's face. He didn't look angry or upset any longer. He looked guilty.

"Robb? What is it?" He sank down to his knees next to the bed. He took your hand in his and raised it to his lips. "This is all my fault. I should have been with you. I should have kept you safe, as I promised. You wouldn't be hurt if I had been there." Your heart clenched. You couldn't believe that's what he was thinking. However, before you could reply, Robb rose and stormed from the room.

"Robb?" you heard from the other side of the door. "How is she?" You recognized Jon and Theon's voices almost instantly, but you didn't hear more because Robb left. You knew because you heard the other two calling after him. You only hoped they'd talk some sense into him.

Robb's POV

Robb couldn't keep his thoughts straight. He had sworn to protect you and he'd failed. You were injured because he wasn't there when he should have been. He had chosen not to walk with you when you asked him. He had chosen to be away from you when you needed him. You were hurt and it was because of him.

"Robb, why did you run off?" Jon asked. Robb sighed, running a hand through his auburn curls. "I did that to her." Jon and Theon exchanged confused glances. "Did what? Broke her legs? Robb, you weren't anywhere near her when Bran fell." Robb could fell his face heating up.

"That's precisely why it's my fault! I should have been!" Theon shook his head. He didn't really understand where Robb was coming from, but you were like a sister to him and he knew you wouldn't want Robb feeling like it was his fault you were hurt. "Come on, Robb, you know that isn't true. Y/N was being herself. She was trying to save Bran."

"But I could have saved Bran and she wouldn't have gotten hurt if I was there." Jon rolled his eyes a bit at that. "Oh shut it. Bran fell, nothing more. He is always climbing, a fall was bound to happen someday. We're lucky Y/N was there or Bran could have died. She did exactly what she's always done. You are not responsible for what happened. Now you go back there, tell that woman you love her, and stop feeling so damn guilty for something that wasn't your fault!"

Robb stared at his brother and best friend for a moment. They never lied to him. And they were right. You needed him now, but not his guilt. He needed to shake off his own feelings and be there for you. Nodding his head, Robb walked back to your chambers. The door was open and Maester Luwin was inside. "How is Bran?" Robb heard you ask.

"I cannot say, my lady. He sleeps for now. We don't know if he will wake and, if he does, he may never walk again." You frowned. "Poor Bran." Maester Luwin gave you a soft smile as he went back to his work. Robb entered the room with his head down. "Robb! There you are!" Robb was by your side a moment later. "Forgive me, love. I didn't mean to worry you." You laughed softly. "Oh, Robb. I was worried. And sad to know that you were blaming yourself. Please don't. I know you would protect me from anything and everything within your power. This was just one of those things that was outside of your power."

Robb took your hand in his again and kissed it. "I'm sorry. I never meant to add my worry to your pain. Jon and Theon talked some sense into me. I'm here to help you recover." You smiled at him, cupping his cheek with your free hand. "Then I am the luckiest woman in the world. I love you, Robb." He kissed your palm and whispered his love back to you as the world fell away while you looked into his blue eyes.