More Than Any Throne (Ramsay Bolton x fem!Targaryen reader)

Ramsay stared up at you as you sat on your throne. For a queen of fire, you regarded him with such an icy expression it almost made him shiver. "I have heard of you, Lord Bolton. Of your betrayal of the Starks and the Greyjoys. I have heard of the murder of your father by your hand. Word of your horrible deeds has spread far and wide. I see no reason to trust you, especially not enough to form an alliance."

Ramsay knew he had to say something and quickly before you had his head. He was nothing if not quick-witted. "Queen Y/N, I too have heard of you. Tales of your kindness and compassion have reached far across the Great Sea to Westeros. I know my reputation. Even if I should gain the Iron Throne, the people would not accept me. I would be assassinated the moment the crown was on my head." You arched a brow.

"You aren't exactly helping your case, Lord Bolton. Flattery may work on my sister and most definitely would have worked on my brother, but I am not them. Why should I not let you return to Westeros for your, most likely, inevitable assassination then cross the sea to take the throne for myself?"

"Because then the people of Westeros would believe that you too are cruel. What sort of queen allows a potential ally to run to his death when she could stop it? That is what the people would say. Together, we could rule side-by-side. You would be returned to your rightful home as the true heir to the Iron Throne and the people would love you. And you can sway them in my favor as well. If the kind Targaryen queen could love the ruthless, mad dog Lord Bolton, there must be some good in him. They would accept and follow us both as their rulers. But I cannot-" Ramsay cut himself off for a moment. He hated sounding so weak, but he needed to do this. "I cannot do this alone. I need someone like you by my side."

You let out a huff. "Prostrating yourself before me does not suit the 'Mad Dog', Lord Bolton. Once again, your words of flattery mean nothing to me." Ramsay felt himself growing frustrated. You were supposed to be swayed by him, but you weren't. You showed nothing toward him except amusement.

It grew quiet in the hall as your Hand whispered in your ear. You hummed and nodded slightly. For a few moments, you watched him as Ramsay grew more and more irate. It was becoming difficult to keep his temper in check. After a while, you hummed again. "You've amused me, Lord Bolton. That's not an easy feat. I will consider your proposition and inform you of my decision in the morning. You are free to explore Essos, with an escort, of course. Or you may choose to retire to the chambers I keep for visiting nobility. Until morning." With that, you stood and swept from the room, leaving Ramsay utterly confused and, maybe a little bit impressed.

The next morning, Ramsay entered the dining hall to find you already waiting for him. He bowed to you and you smiled at him. "Lord Bolton," you greeted with a warmth that had been missing the day before. Once again, Ramsay was utterly confounded by you. You sipped your drink before speaking again as Ramsay sat down. "Though your proposal was...ridiculous, to say the least, I accept." Ramsay blinked stupidly for a moment.

"What?"

"I will sail to Westeros with you and rule, as equals, by your side." Ramsay began to smile, but you continued, "Know this, however. If you betray me in any way, I will destroy you. Bear in mind that my sister is not the only Targaryen with dragons. My reputation may be one of kindness and compassion, but I will answer betrayal and harm with ruin." This time, Ramsay did smile.

*time skip*

Ramsay glanced at you across the table as you broke your fast together one morning. The stress of ruling over Westeros had done nothing but enhance your beauty. If possible, you had grown more confident, stronger, and intelligent since coming over from Essos. You lead the people compassionately and held Ramsay's temper back whenever possible. People respected you and feared him and the dragons. It worked well for you and Ramsay, to his surprise, found himself caring more for you than for the throne he'd fought for.

"You're staring, Husband," you stated, hardly looking up from the scroll in front of you. "Am I not allowed to look at my wife? My queen?" You rolled your eyes, but smiled nonetheless. "I am only your wife and queen because you wanted the throne and knew there was no other way to get it. So either you're forming some devious plan, or you've come to the realization that you've fallen in love with me."

Ramsay blinked in surprise. The man had prided himself on keeping any and all emotions under wraps. Did he love you? He had his throne, but would he give it up for you? Yes. In a heartbeat, he would. Did that mean he, for the first time in his life, was actually in love?

A soft laugh from you broke Ramsay from his thoughts. He looked at you again. "Did you think you were hiding? Ramsay, my darling, you forget that I have been able to see right through you from the moment we met." You pushed your chair back and rose to your feet. As you passed by Ramsay, you placed a hand on his shoulder. "There is nothing wrong with admitting that you're in love, Ramsay." You squeezed him lightly before moving to leave the room. Ramsay stood and turned to watch you leave. "Oh, and Ramsay?" you called over your shoulder, "I love you too." Ramsay stood still for a moment as his brain processed what you'd said. Once he snapped out of it, he was instantly running after you, intent on spending the rest of the day getting you to ignore your duties and spend time with him.