Idiots in Love(Davos Seaworth x reader)

Davos had spent so long at the right hand of kings, first Stannis and the Jon Snow, that he had nearly forgotten what it was like to have little moments to himself. Jon was grateful for him and his counsel. He liked to repay loyalty whenever he could. So, when Jon noticed the covert glances between the two of you, he knew he had to act.

Everyone in Winterfell; Hells probably everyone in Westeros could see that you were hopelessly in love with the older gentleman and he with you. The only two people in the world who did seem to notice were the two of you! Even Jon who supposedly "knew nothing" couldn't understand how you didn't see it! It baffled him, but it also made him more determined. With a little help from Sansa who knew better the affairs of the heart, Jon came up with plans to try and help you and Davos.

First, it was little assignments that ended up with the two of you alone together. Then it was hosting feasts where the two of you were placed next to one another at the head table. It was insisting on the two of you training or learning new things together. Anything to get the two of you to realize how much in love with one another you were. Nothing worked. Or so everyone thought.

Davos had noticed something at least. He had noticed every single attempt to get you alone with him. He had noticed how you always got a shy smile on your face whenever you did end up together. He noticed how your (e/c) always seemed to meet his when he looked up, but also how you quickly looked away. He thought that you were afraid of him because of the part he'd played in all the wars and battles. Or even for his smuggling days. He simply thought Jon and the others were trying to get you over your fear.

When Davos expressed that thought to Jon and Sansa, they both laughed at him. "Just...go speak with them," Sansa insisted, "I believe they're in the kitchens. Y/N likes to go there to think." Davos looked to Jon who nodded his approval. "Idiots," he heard Sansa whisper, but ignored it as he made his way to the kitchens. It was terribly late at night for anyone to be there, but sure enough, there you were.

Davos took a moment to admire you. He may have been a bit older, but he still had desires just like every other person. He couldn't help but to appreciate the way your clothing sat on your form or the way you hummed a bit as you moved about the kitchens. It was nice to see you so carefree.

He hadn't realized that you'd noticed him until you let out a little yell of surprise. "Ser Davos! You frightened me!" Davos quickly apologized and moved to help you pick up the things you'd dropped in your surprise. Davos knelt down next to you, but nearly fell over when he realized just how close the two of you were. There was a look in your eyes that Davos had seen before and he knew for certain this time it wasn't fear.

You quickly picked up the cook's belongings and stood. "Thank you, Davos," you whispered before turning to leave. Without thinking, Davos gently grabbed your arm to stop you from leaving. When you turned to look at him again, he questioned that choice. He wasn't a man of many words. He never had been, but he was intelligent. He stared at your face for a few moments, wondering how he'd missed the signs.

"Did you come to torture me, Davos? To jest at my expense?" Davos' brow furrowed. "What?" You turned your face away from him again. "All these years, I have sat and waited, biding my time to tell you how I feel about you. Yet, there was never any indication that you felt the same. I knew you already knew and were trying to let me down gently. So why are you here now, waving what I can't have in front of me?"

For what seemed like a century, Davos was speechless. He was right. It wasn't fear in your face. It was something much more frightening. Affection. Love. The same things he felt for you. But now he also saw the hurt he'd inadvertently caused you.

He dropped his hand from your arm, allowing you to leave the room, leaving him standing there confused. How had he made this such a mess without even trying? After standing there for a few moments, Davos took a deep breath and made a decision. He was going to make things right with you, no matter what. Starting with telling you exactly how he felt. He prayed to every god there was, if there were any that he could find the words to tell you. With new-found determination, Davos followed after you.