Secret Wife (Sandor Clegane x fem!reader)

(Flashbacks/memories in italics, as always)

Although Sandor would never show it, he was pacing like a caged animal in his head. After so long he would finally be reunited with you. He hadn't seen you since before the Battle of the Blackwater. Since he sent you away to protect you and while he didn't regret it, he missed you terribly and had for all the years you'd been apart. Still, thanks to Jon Snow, he knew you were Winterfell now and he couldn't wait to see you again. As the ride continued on, Sandor couldn't help but look back on how you'd met.

The tell-tale sound of an arrow soaring through the air put Sandor on high alert. He instantly drew his sword and let his eyes look for the threat. His job was to protect the king. There was a rustling in the bushes ahead. Sandor crept forward, ready to defend his king. However, he pulled up short when he saw you dragging a knife across the carcass of a deer. It was clear you had been hunting.

"AH, the most dangerous creature alive. The woman. Good job, Clegane," Robert declared before laughing boisterously. You jumped a little, the knife in your hand slipping just enough to cut the flesh. You swore just loudly enough for Sandor to hear then whirled around. The glare on your face didn't let up as you curtsied to the king, nor did your eyes leave Sandor. Without saying a word, Sandor took out a handkerchief and wrapped it around the cut on your hand. His eyes met yours again and somehow he knew he would see you again.

*Time skip a few months*

Sandor was right. It seemed as though every time he went out with the king, he found you again. After the fourth time, you finally decided to make conversation with him. That was also around the time that Robert chose to invite you to remain in King's Landing, and more importantly, the Red Keep as his personal hunter, should he not be able to hunt on his own. Much to everyone's surprise, you agreed.

Since moving into the Keep, you seemed to make it your mission to speak to Sandor every day. Usually, it was some playful comment or teasing. It annoyed Sandor at first, but he soon realized that you could take it as well as dish it out. After that, he noticed the little things about you that drove him crazy, in every sense of the word.

You were brazen and bold. You had a sharp tongue that sometimes liked to run away with you, but you knew when to be silent. You loved to joke and tease, especially Sandor. You were alright at hand-to-hand combat, but were better with a bow. And you were one of the best hunters he'd ever seen that could still turn on the charm and act like a lady when it was necessary. Sandor often found himself watching you in awe.

"Do you see something you like, Clegane?" you would ask with a smirk on your lips. Sandor would always mutter the same reply of, "No. In your dreams, maybe." The smirk on those damned lips of yours would grow as you stepped closer to him. "Every night. Good night, Clegane," was whispered before you walked away. Sandor would be left staring and gaping after you.

And the first time you kissed him? Oh Sandor thought he would die. Right then and there. The king had spent many a day by the queen's side now that she was so far gone with child, so Sandor had a rare free day which he chose to spend in the practice yard. He wasn't at all surprised to see you there.

"A bow is for cowards," he said, making you jump. "Don't do that!" you snapped. You hated it when he snuck up on you like that and he knew it. It was one of the few things he could do to get under your skin and he had to admit, he liked it. Ignoring your comment, he continued, "Knives and swords are better, more up close and personal. More accurate. You should learn to use them." You arched a brow.

"Are you saying you want to get up close and personal with me?" Sandor felt his face grow hot. This was not at all going the way he had seen it. You were supposed to be afraid of him, not openly flirting with him. You were flirting, weren't you? His question was answered when he felt your chest press against him. "Because I would love to get close to you too," you told him softly before pressing up to bring your lips to his.

*A few years later*

"I am hers and she is mine, from this day, until the end of my days."

"I am his and he is mine, from this day, until the end of my days."

The words were uttered almost reverently under the dark sky. You never looked away from Sandor as you vowed yourself to him as his wife. Technically, your union had not been blessed by the king, but neither of you cared. You loved him too much to care and he loved you. The weight of his cloak around your shoulders and the look in his eyes as he made the same vows told you that. To the world, you marriage did not exist, but to the two of you, there would never be anyone else.

Sandor had practically begged you to leave King's Landing before the Battle of the Blackwater. He hadn't wanted you anywhere near the city when Stannis attacked. It had nearly broken him to watch you ride off under the cover of darkness, but he hid it well as he returned to the walls of the Keep. But now he was ready to be reunited with you. He only hoped you still loved him the way you had before.

Discreetly, Sandor let his eyes roam the courtyard. He did not see you yet. Surely you would be there to greet the returned Jon Snow and the Dragon Queen? But no, Sandor could not see you. Puzzled, he went about his business. He would find you in time and since he still didn't know how many people, if any, knew about your marriage, he didn't want to ask after you.

For most of the day, Sandor looked for you to no avail. Maybe he had been mistaken and you weren't there. Or you had left. After a while, he decided to take out his frustrations on the practice dummies in the yard. The sun had long set and most everyone else had retired indoors for the night. He could be alone for the first time in months.

Sandor's muscles screamed as he swung his sword. "You know, for a weapon that is so up close and personal, you are certainly standing far enough away from that dummy." Sandor whirled to see you standing there, hands on your hips and a smirk on your lips. "Y/N." Without waiting another second, you flew into his arms. Sandor barely had time to drop his sword before he felt you clinging to him. "Gods I've missed you," you said, though your words were muffled by his shoulder.

Sandor breathed in your scent and sighed happily. You were in his arms again. You pulled back slightly so you could kiss him deeply. After so many years apart, it felt like the first kiss all over again. When you pulled back, you were both breathless. "Will you join me in my chambers tonight, husband?" you asked with that mischievous twinkle in your eyes. Sandor chuckled softly and agreed. He set you on your feet then picked up his sword before letting you lead him to your chambers where you spent the night making up for lost time.

As it turned out, you hadn't told anyone of your marriage either simply because you didn't know if Sandor wanted anyone to know yet. So you were still Sandor's secret wife and he kind of liked that. You were his and his alone and he didn't have to share that with the world. Sandor was content with that until a certain ginger Wildling tried to lure you into his bed.

You scoffed lightly. "I'm sorry Tormund, but I have no intention of joining you in your chambers." Tormund shrugged. "Who said anything about my chambers? And once you've had a taste, you will want no other." You outright laughed at that, causing Tormund to smile. "I'm afraid I have to disagree." Tormund questioned you. He wasn't really pushing you. He was simply curious, but Sandor didn't like it one bit. He decided it was time to step in.

"She said no, Wildling." Tormund looked up at Sandor with a grin. "The lady can speak for herself, Clegane." Sandor crossed his arms over his chest and did his best to look menacing. "The lady is Y/N Clegane and she's my wife!" The entire hall went silent at Sandor's outburst. They all looked to you. You wore an expression of pride as you nodded. "It's true."

"How long have you been married?" Brienne of Tarth asked. "Since before the death of Jon Arryn, " you replied, pulling your gaze back to Sandor. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have a jealous husband to placate," you continued with a sly smile. Hollers and whistles followed you out of the hall as you pulled Sandor behind you.

"I love you," you told him the moment you were behind closed doors, "I have loved you all these years and I don't plan to stop now. Do not let the Wildling make you jealous. He could never take me away from you." Sandor nodded and wrapped his arms around you. "I know. I love you." Sandor bent down to rest his forehead on yours. You weren't his secret anymore, but maybe it was a good thing. Now he could show the world that you were his and he was yours. Until the end of your days.