Disbelief (Sandor Clegane x fem!reader)

Sandor groaned a bit as he stretched his back. The world was still trying to pull itself back together after the Great War and that meant more work for Sandor and his current traveling companion, Bronn. Why he was travelling with the new Master of Coin was beyond him, but the king had asked the two of them to travel and see which realms needed the crown's assistance more. Sandor never expected what would happen.

A scream pierced through the dusk, putting both warriors on high alert. Sandor drew his sword as a second scream sounded, this one closer. With a look at Bronn, Sandor took off as fast as he could with the limp that still bothered him on occasion. He didn't need to look to know that Bronn was following after him. That man was still ready to fight at any time, despite everything they had all been through.

It didn't take long to find the source of the screams. As Sandor suspected, you weren't alone and the intentions of the two men with you were clear. The men hadn't yet noticed Sandor or Bronn, but you had. With one last scream, you made a last ditch effort. You reared your head back, hitting one man in the nose. He let you go and you kicked the other in the shin before darting away toward Sandor and Bronn.

With his free hand, Sandor swung you behind him. Your attackers were quick to recover and had of course, begun to give chase. They froze for a moment upon seeing Sandor. He was still a large man after all. You peaked around Sandor and Bronn which only served to fuel the anger of your attackers.

"Give us the girl. We have no quarrel with you." Bronn arched a brow before replying, "And you have one with her? Can't imagine what a girl like that could have done to you." He gave you a wink, but you skirted closer to Sandor. You just wanted to get out of there. That much was obvious. "Piss off, or you'll answer to me," Sandor told them gruffly.

For a moment, it looked like they might try to fight him. Then, they looked him over and seemed to recognize him. Or at least one of them did. The first man moved to reached around Sandor, but the second stopped him. "That's the Hound. No woman is worth losing your head to him." It took a few seconds, but he first man seemed to agree. They turned and began to walk away. The first man glanced over his shoulder at you. "See you again soon, girlie." Sandor felt you shudder against his back.

As soon as they were out of sight, Sandor and Bronn turned to you. "You alright?" You looked up at Sandor with grateful eyes. "Yes, thank you." Sandor took a step back to put some distance between you. He knew it was only a matter of time before you realized you were faced with a worse monster than the ones he'd just chased off. Bronn didn't seem to see it that way, however. He decided to question you.

"What's pretty thing like you doin' out here, all alone, when she can't defend herself?" You turned a sharp glare in Bronn's direction. "I can defend myself, I'll have you know!" you snapped, crossing your arms over your chest, "They caught me by surprise. Threw my pack and blade in the river." Bronn let out a little scoff but didn't argue. He knew what the wrath of a woman was like and he wasn't about to endure yours.

"Where are you headed?" Sandor asked, catching your attention again. "King's Landing. My home is in ruins after everything. I was hoping for employment as a maid in the king's household." Sandor and Bronn exchanged a glance. For a few seconds, the two had a silent conversation. Bronn nodded to Sandor before speaking to you again.
"Just so happens we'll be heading back that way ourselves in a few days." You hummed softly, prompting him to continue. "My friend here thinks it would be best if you travel with us." You glanced up at Sandor again and saw him giving Bronn a look that was anything but friendly. It made you giggle. "I think I'd enjoy that."

*time skip*

You were staring again. You knew you were, but you couldn't seem to stop. He had you completely enraptured. Everything about him called to you. Not only was he handsome, but he was honest and, underneath the gruff exterior, he had a heart of gold. And his physique called out to your most base desires. You wanted him. His body, his mind, and his heart. You had fallen in love with Sandor Clegane.

Unfortunately, you were really bad about keeping your feelings under wraps. It didn't take long for both Bronn and Sandor to realize that you felt something deeper for Sandor. And when they did realize it, both were in utter disbelief. How, of all the people in the world, had you managed to fall for Sandor?

"I see the way she looks at you," Bronn stated the night before they were to arrive in King's Landing. Sandor didn't reply. He cast a quick glance at you. You were curled up on the ground, eyes closed, body rising and falling with even breaths. Sandor wasn't sure how he felt. He hadn't had to think about his feelings in so long. He'd thought he'd locked them away, never to darken his life again.

"She looks at you like you hung the bloody moon." Again, Sandor said nothing. He wasn't going to dignify Bronn's comments with a response. "You gonna set her straight? Or...are you feelin' something too?" Sandor looked at Bronn who wore a sly smirk. He was trying to bait Sandor into admitting some sort of weakness or vulnerability. He wasn't going to bite. That didn't seem to matter to Bronn though. Sandor's silence was all Bronn needed.

"You are, aren't you? Never thought I'd see the day. Guess we aren't the same after all." Sandor scoffed and rolled his eyes. You shifted a little in your sleep, but didn't wake. "She's better off without the likes of either of us," Sandor finally said. "We get her to King's Landing and she'll find some blacksmith or other, get married, have babies, all that sh-"

"Don't you think that's my decision to make?" your voice startled both men. You sat up, your eyes never leaving Sandor. There was a fire in them that was so intense, even Sandor nearly flinched away. "You don't get to decide my life for me, Sandor. You do not get to choose who I love or whether or not I'm better off without you."

"Think I'll go take a..." Bronn trailed off when your eyes flashed over to his. Without another word, he scurried off, leaving you alone with Sandor. Some of the ferocity left your gaze and your eyes softened. "Sandor, why is it so hard for you to believe that I love you?" Sandor arched a brow. "Do you know who I am? What I've done?"

"Of course I do. But I also know that, deep down, there's a man capable of more love and feeling that anyone ever thought possible. If you don't love me, fine. But if you do, don't push me away." Sandor didn't know what to say for a moment. "Look at me, girl. I'm a monster. You deserve better." You shook your head. You slowly made your way over to him and got as close as possible. When he didn't shy away, you sighed and leaned against him, getting your head close to his shoulder.

"I don't want anyone else," you whispered, "I didn't think I'd love you either. But I do. You're not a monster, Sandor. You have a past that you regret and a future that you can make what you want it. Don't close yourself off just because you're afraid." Sandor looked at you for a moment.

Deep down, he knew you were right. He just couldn't believe it. But you were here, with him, closer than anyone had ever been before and he liked it. He carefully moved his arm and wrapped it around your back. His hand came to rest on your hip as he pulled you closer. You sighed softly. Somehow you knew everything from here on out was going to be a lot easier with Sandor.

(a/n: That was the last of the old requests! I will start posting new requests soon!)