Were You Only Pretending? (Gendry x fem!reader) AU*

(*- loosely based on The Princess Diaries 2)

Gendry paced outside your room. It was two days before the wedding and to say he was getting cold feet would be the understatement of the year. He couldn't do this. As he paced, his mind raced with how he got here. How he had somehow managed to convince you, a princess, to marry him. Memories simply invaded his mind while he waited to see after your dress fitting.

*flashback*

Gendry stared, open-mouthed, at Petyr Baelish like he'd grown a second head. People had used the bastard as a pawn in their own games many, many times before. He'd gotten used to it really. Outside of the forge, Gendry wasn't worth much to anyone anyway. But this? This was an entirely new and completely unexpected situation.

"You can't be serious. There is no way I can convince a royal that I'm highborn. I'm a blacksmith. A bastard. And the princess is said to be smart. Too smart to fall for that." Baelish rolled his eyes and smirked. "That is why I will make you into something the princess will believe. I will make you into a wealthy suitor worthy of the princess' hand."

That was a few months ago and now Gendry stood in the castle throne room, along with a dozen other potential suitors. He felt like a fish out of water. He was dressed like a lord or prince. He felt stuffy, like the walls were closing in, but he managed to keep his composure. But only just. Especially when you turned your eyes on him.

Gendry had a soft spot for beautiful women and you were a beautiful woman. Just like with all the other potential suitors, you stopped in front of Gendry and curtsied. He bowed and when he looked back at you, he could see you were trying to deduce something about him. It seemed that your eyes lingered on him a bit longer than they had the other suitors. Maybe he could pull this off after all. Either that or you would sniff out his lies like a bloodhound and he'd be punished. Only time would tell.

You let out a light laugh at Gendry's joke. The two of you had been for a small, chaperoned outing. Gendry was really enjoying his mostly one-on-one time with you. You were as brilliant as they'd said and witty. Gendry didn't always understand what you were talking about, but you never made him feel stupid for it. And you seemed to find his jokes funny. Gendry found himself wishing your time together was longer. Because of that, he found out your little secret.

You let out a little scream when you turned to see Gendry standing in the door way of the kitchen, watching you. You had been dancing around with a small pint of ice cream and a spoon. "So this is what the princess does when she gets a moment alone?" You looked down at the floor in embarrassment, but Gendry merely chuckled. "Don't be embarrassed, Princess. It's good to see you so relaxed."

The two of you spent the next hour hiding in the kitchen and talking. You even offered Gendry a pint of ice cream from your stash. It was that night that Gendry realized he was falling for you. Every smile you offered him sent his stomach fluttering and made his knees weak. And when you playfully reached over and dabbed a bit of ice cream on his nose, Gendry knew for a fact that he couldn't keep up the charade.

"W-What?" Gendry stuttered out in surprise. You laughed lightly. "You, Gendry. If I am to marry, I want to marry someone I can love. Or at least be friends with. You are the only one I see that way. I find myself looking forward to our time together with joy. I cannot wait to see what new surprises you have in store whenever we talk. I love listening to your stories and to your laugh. Hells, I believe I'm half in love with you already." Gendry gently pulled you close. "Are you certain, Princess?" You nodded and Gendry placed a gentle kiss to your lips.

*end flashbacks*

"Gendry? Are you alright?" Gendry was pulled from his thoughts by your concerned voice. His face heated as he realized he'd been caught day dreaming. "Yes. I need to speak with you...alone. Please." Your brows furrowed, but nodded. You could clearly see that Gendry was distressed so you sent away your ladies maids and allowed Gendry into your room where he immediately launched into his confession.

When he was finished telling you everything from who he really was and how he came to be in your line of suitors and how Baelish was using him, you were nearly crying. "W-Were you only pretending? This whole time?" you asked in a voice that Gendry never would have expected from you. "Have you been lying to me for the entire time we've known each other?" The hurt in your voice and the expression of pain etched on your face broke Gendry's heart.

"NO!" he exclaimed before taking a deep breath continuing, "Well...I was at first, but never about my feelings for you. I was pretending before, but not now. I can't keep lying to you. Not when I love you. I never lied about that." For a moment, you simply sat in silence. That was worse than anything. Gendry would have preferred for you to yell, scream, cry, or even hit him. Not knowing what you were thinking was worse torture than anything else.

"Get out," you finally said, "I-I need time to think so just...go." Gendry left without a word. He had no idea what would happen now. He simply had to trust you and your judgment. Whatever happened to him wouldn't matter so long as you were happy and Baelish got what he deserved as punishment for trying to take over your kingdom. With those thoughts in mind, Gendry retired to his own chambers and didn't leave them until the day of the wedding that had, surprisingly, not been called off.

Gendry waited somewhat impatiently for you to enter the cathedral. Would you even show up? Gendry got lost in his thoughts but wasn't there long when the doors opened and he nearly stopped breathing. You looked beautiful in your gown. Every bit the princess you were. With a determined look in your eyes, you marched up the aisle and to the podium. Murmurs broke out around the room, but you ignored them.

"There will not be a wedding today," you declared, leaving absolutely no room for argument, "My grandmother has been queen for many years, ruling firmly but kindly. Without a husband. It was this queen who has taught me what it means to rule over people with compassion and a guiding hand. What it means to be a queen. And I am prepared for whatever this kingdom throws my way and I will handle it with all the grace that is required of me as a queen with no king by my side for now."

For a moment, there was silence. Then, thunderous applause. A gentle smile graced your lips before your gaze met Gendry's. You came down from your perch and passed by him on your way back to the doors. "Meet me in the kitchens tonight," you whispered before leaving him standing at the altar.

That night, Gendry found you waiting in the kitchens. You turned to him with a frown. "You wanted to see me?" You nodded. "I've given this a lot of thought. I know how manipulative Baelish can be and I...I forgive you." Gendry beamed. "Just like that." You arched a brow. "Did you want some kind of test? Or punishment?" Gendry instantly shook his head, making you laugh. "Then, yes, just like that. And I'm sorry we didn't wed today. I just couldn't marry you until everything is resolved."

"'Until'?" Gendry questioned, "You still want to marry me?" You gave a shrug and replied that perhaps you would. "Someday. But you have a lot of making up to do first," you warned as you playfully shook your finger at him. Gendry chuckled and grabbed your hand. He pulled you closer to him until your chests were nearly touching. "I will spend forever making it up to you if I have to. Whatever I have to do is worth it to see you smile." You rolled your eyes, but smiled all the same.v"I love you, Gendry." He held you a little tighter. "And I adore you, my queen."