You Underestimate Me(BFF!Varys x fem!reader)

(Also: Daenerys x fem!reader and Daenerys x Daario)

When you first encountered Daenerys and her advisors, you never thought you'd end up so close. Yet, here you were, a female sellsword, lover of the Mother of Dragons, and best friend of Tyrion and Varys. They were your family and you would do anything for them. Not everyone believed that though.

At least once a week, you spent a meal with Tyrion and Varys. The wine and laughter flowed easily, but you and Varys often got into debates. Tyrion was usually too drunk to join in. Every once in a while, your debates with Varys actually turned into arguments, such as tonight.

The two of you were arguing about what real friendship was and what it meant to you. You told him, in no uncertain terms, that you would protect him with your life if necessary. He didn't believe you. "People say things like that all the time, dear Y/N. And yet, when the time comes, people look after themselves." You arched a brow. "You underestimate me, Varys. Let us hope we never have to find out if I'm exaggerating."

As it happened, there would be a time for you to prove to Varys that you weren't lying. When Daenerys reopened the fighting pits, you knew there would be trouble. You had tried to warn her against it, but she ignored you as well as her other lover, Daario. The day she reopened the pits, chaos ensued. One moment, the fighting was happening, the next, you were pushing Daenerys behind you, trying to protect her.

"Sons of the Harpy," you whispered. Daario looked at you and nodded. Without warning, they attacked, leaving you all vulnerable. Your eyes scanned the carnage to find Tyrion and Varys in trouble. You practically shoved Daenerys toward Daario. "Protect her!" You placed a quick kiss to her cheek and ran over to your friends.

Without thinking, you swung your sword at the nearest assailant. You ducked and weaved through the throngs of people with your focus on you two friends. The woman you loved was protected. They weren't. You forced your legs forward when you noticed one particular fighter closing in on Varys. All thought left your head as you threw yourself into yet another dangerous situation.

It seemed like seconds and hours at the same time when you finally reached the friend closest to you, which happened to be Varys, the one least capable of defending himself in these kinds of situations. You nearly slid through the sand to get to him. Your sword pierced through the gap in the assailant's armor. His scream echoed in your ears.

"Are you alright?" you asked Varys. He merely stared at you with wide eyes. He never got the chance to answer you though. The sound of a dragon's screech came from overhead. Drogon swooped down, scooping up Daenerys and setting your enemies on fire. As she flew off, your eyes met Daenerys' in a silent promise. You would go after her as soon as it was safe.

Later, when all the fighting was done, you stood with Jorah, Daario, and the others trying to figure out who was going after Daenerys. "I'm going," you stated. You met Daario's gaze as if daring him to argue. As her other lover, Daario knew how much Daenerys meant to you. Daario simply nodded and you left the room to pack a few provisions.

You were hardly alone for more than a few minutes when you felt a presence behind you. "You saved me." You turned to face him and arched a brow. "I told you I would if you were ever in danger." Varys looked worried and impressed at the same time. "I didn't truly believe you." You let out a chuckle. "I thought, with your affection for the Dragon Queen, you would not bother with such a lowly servant of the realm."

You whirled on him. "How dare you?! You are not lowly, Varys! Don't you speak of yourself that way! You are my closest friend and don't you EVER think otherwise again!" You placed a hand on his shoulder and gave it a squeeze. You smiled at him. "Now, you and Tyrion take care of Meereen while I go save our queen!" Varys let his lips upturn into a rare smile. "I swear it." In a moment of sentiment, you wrapped your arms around him.

"Please be careful," you whispered. After a beat, Varys hugged you back. "Only if you do the same. Loyalty and friendship are hard to come by and I would hate to lose yours." You laughed heartily and pulled away. "Go rescue the queen. We shall wait for you. Besides, someone has to keep Jorah and Daario from tearing each other apart in their jealousy. You have a better head on your shoulders."

"Yes well, I'm not happy about it, but those two love Daenerys as well. In the end, it's her choice, just as it was mine to save you and Tyrion instead of staying with Daenerys." With that, you packed the rest of your provisions and went out of the Great Pyramid of Meereen with Jorah and Daario. You glanced back to find Varys and Tyrion standing on the balcony. You gave a slight wave. You only hoped you would be able to get Daenerys and return to Meereen. To your little family.