You're Not Bad (Jaime Lannister x fem!reader*)

(*-platonic)

Jaime couldn't understand it. Since coming to Winterfell, he'd been treated like a pariah by everyone except Tyrion, Brienne, and you. Tyrion and Brienne he could understand, but you were the mystery. One that Jaime would have loved to solve in his younger days. Before everything went to the Seven Hells. Nothing helped him feel good about his situation though. Not until the night before the battle against the White Walkers.

Jaime was sitting on his own, nursing a goblet of ale. He wasn't particularly fond of the drink, but it was something to do. "Why are you by yourself?" a voice asked. Jaime wasn't surprised when he saw you moving to sit next to him. "You should be with your loved ones." Jaime scoffed a little. "So should you." You muttered something under your breath and sat down fully.

"Why are you over here, Jaime? You should be with us." Jaime sighed. "I was thinking," he admitted, "About tomorrow and my future, if I have one. I'm not a good man, Y/N. I've done things I'm certainly not proud of. Things that have cost me the people I loved. Who knows how much more damage I could cause if I survive this battle. I was considering the option of sacrifice. To appease the Walkers and make amends."

"No." That one word took Jaime back. It was forceful without drawing attention to the two of you. "No, Jaime. That won't solve anything. You know that. There are other ways to make amends." Jaime sighed. "I know, but I can't think of them." You gave him a smile. "Think on it, Jaime. And please, don't do anything rash. I expect to see you after the battle." You stood and gave his shoulder a squeeze before leaning down and whispering in his ear, "I believe in you, Jaime Lannister."

After the battle, Jaime could feel his muscles protesting every time he moved, but he didn't care. He had seen that Tyrion was fine and so was Brienne. But he hadn't found you yet. He searched through the crowd and the bodies. He looked everywhere he could think of. It wasn't until he made it to the gates of Winterfell that he found you.

"Looking for something?" Jaime whirled around to face you and couldn't fight the smile that spread across his lips. "You're alive." You grinned back at him. "And so are you. I'm glad to see you took my advice." Jaime chuckled a little, but it was cut short when he felt your arms wrap around him. He froze for a moment before returning the gesture. You'd never hugged him before. Maybe it was just the relief of the battle being over. He wasn't going to question it now.

It wasn't until the victory feast that Jaime had a chance to talk to you about everything. He'd been able to breathe and think and wonder what made you so different. Why didn't you treat him like everyone else did? He needed to know and he knew the only way would be to ask you.

You sat down next to him with a smile on your face as Tyrion, Podrick, and Brienne played some sort of drinking game. "Is Tyrion winning or losing?" Jaime chuckled under his breath. "Both, I believe." You laughed and shook your head fondly. Jaime watched you for a moment, unsure of how to approach the subject. Fortunately for him, you were fairly observant.

"Is there something you wanted to ask me, Jaime?" He blinked in surprise, but nodded slowly. "Yes. Why? Last night...why did you try so hard to convince me not to give up?" You smiled at him, but he could see tears in your eyes. "Why is it that you, of all people, don't see me as a villain when most of my family-most of Westeros does?" he continued.

"You're not bad, Jaime. I never thought you were. Whatever it was you did, you did for a reason. To protect yourself, your family, your home. Brienne told me what happened with The Mad King," you said, leaning in to whisper. You didn't want Daenerys to hear. "Jaime, you are not a bad man. You are one of the most courageous men I know. I know that most people have no love for Lannisters, but I'm not one of them. I hope to be able to at least call you my friend."

You reached over and placed your hand on his arm and gave it a small squeeze. Jaime placed his flesh hand on top of your, meeting your gaze with a smile. "I think we would be great friends, Y/N." You returned the grin and raised your goblet that was in your other hand to him. "To new friends?" Jaime took his hand from yours and grabbed his goblet. "New friends." You leaned in and kissed his cheek before the two of you tuned back in to Tyrion's drinking game, joining in on the laughter and celebrations.