Disguised (Yara Greyjoy x fem!reader)

(Angst coming your way!)

Falling in love with Yara Greyjoy had NEVER been part of the plan. You were supposed to marry the man your father chose for you. But after meeting, drinking with, and spending time with Yara, you were enamored. When Yara made it plain that she was sailing for Meereen to strike an alliance with the Dragon Queen, you found yourself in quite the predicament. Did you stay home with your father and marry the man of his choosing, or did you follow your heart and go with Yara?

You followed your heart. The only problem with doing that was that your father would quickly figure out that you were gone. And the people on the Iron Islands would instantly rat you out. Unless they didn't know it was you. Thinking on your feet, you donned a disguise and boarded Yara's ship. Now you weren't Y/N. Instead, you were a man. At least that's how the world saw you.

The journey to Meereen took longer than you expected, but it didn't bother you. It gave you time to spend with Yara. In fact, you soon became her most trusted soldier. You were at her side at all times. But she still knew you as a man. The only one who suspected anything, you believed, was her brother Theon. But he never said a word.

The more time you spent with Yara, the more you fell for her. And you thought she was falling for you too. Whenever you stopped to make port now, she didn't go off with the whores or wenches. She stayed by your side. You drank together, trained together, sailed together. It was pure bliss. Nothing could break your little bubble. Or so you thought.

After you'd finally made it to Meereen and the alliance was struck, you were given your own room. Yara didn't want you far from her, in case she needed you. You were grateful, in all honesty. You could unbind yourself and take a long bath for once. And that is exactly what you did. Everything was going well until you stepped out of the bath.

You had just finished drying off when the door opened. You were frozen as Yara stepped inside. Her eyes widened as they took in the sight in front of them. "Y/N?!" You nodded, not trusting your voice. "Get dressed," she said lowly before leaving again. Your hands shook as you put your clothing on. She was mad. You knew it by the sound of her voice.

She came back in a few minutes later with a wineskin that you were certain was full of ale. She motioned for you to sit and you did so without hesitation. "You have one chance to tell me the truth." You nodded. She took a swallow of ale and then looked at you. "Well? Start talking. This is not the Y/N I know. The Y/N I know would never lie to me."

"I had to leave the Iron Islands. My father was going to marry me off. I knew the only way would be to go with you. But I needed to disguise myself." You continued on with your story as she continued to drink her ale. You told her absolutely everything, including why you couldn't marry who your father wanted you to.

"You see, I fell in love. With you. I knew I couldn't marry the man when I didn't love him." Yara's eyes never left you the entire time you spoke. "Why didn't you come clean after we had left Pyke? There was no reason to stay disguised." You licked your lips. "You know what the Ironborn are like out at sea when it comes to women. I was protecting myself."

"And what about me? You could have told me in secret. You had plenty of opportunities." You glanced down at your feet. You didn't have an answer for her because she was right. "You claim to love me. But if you did, you wouldn't have lied to me all this time, Y/N. You've broken my trust."

Yara rose from her seat and turned away from you. "Yara, please. I'm so sorry. I never meant to hurt you. I do love you. And I think, deep down you love me too." Yara glanced back at you over her shoulder. "How can I love you when I don't trust you?" You stared at her, tears filling your eyes. "Please..."

Yara let out a scoff. She drank another gulp of ale before throwing her wineskin to the floor. "Save your tears. You will remain in Meereen when the rest of us set sail. Until that time, I want you out of my sight." She left the room, slamming the door behind her. You slid to the floor, too surprised to even let the tears fall. You had lost her. You had lost the love of your life.

You felt your heart clench as you got up and climbed into bed, not caring that you were still in your clothes. And completely unaware of Yara just outside the door, head resting against it as she contemplated reentering your room, taking you in her arms, and kissing you breathless. You may have been a master of disguising yourself, but Yara was the queen of disguising her true feelings. And right now, her heart was breaking just as badly as yours.