A Change of Fate (Gendry Waters/Baratheon x fem!reader)

"Please don't make me do this," you begged. Your heart sank to your feet as your pleas fell on deaf ears yet again. "Father, please. I can't marry him. Please don't make me." Your father finally turned his eyes on you. "Y/N, you are going to marry young Dickon Tarly. There will be no question about it.'

"But I can't! I can't marry him when I love someone else. Father, I beg of you to listen!" You felt foolish, like a child, arguing with him. You knew it was inevitable. You were going to have to marry Dickon. Once your father made up his mind, there was no stopping him. "You will not be seeing that blacksmith ever again, Y/N. Now, I don't want to hear another word on the subject." After pleading once more to at least let you tell your lover yourself, you ran off to see Gendry for the last time.

Years had passed since you'd been forced to marry into House Tarly. Dickon was truly a good man, despite his father, who you loathed. And Dickon was a good husband. If your heart hadn't been in taken by Gendry all those years before, you might have been able to come to love Dickon. As it was, there would be no chance to find out.

You sank to your knees as the messenger told you the news. Your husband was dead. Executed for standing with his father against the Dragon Queen. While you hadn't loved him in the way he had loved you, he was still your closest friend and confidant. The messenger continued on in the background, talking about how the Dragon Queen was heading to Winterfell and to help against the Army of the Dead. He said there were rumors that she was with Ned Stark's bastard son, Tyrion Lannister, the Hound, and...

"Bastard Baratheon? I thought Cersei killed them all," your good mother said. Your ears perked up. There was only one Baratheon bastard you knew that had survived against Cersei's wrath. He had escaped thanks to Ned Stark. "Apparently not, My Lady. There is one left. Worked as a blacksmith I believe." You had to hold back a gasp. He really was alive?! And headed for Winterfell. If it was true, you knew what you had to do.

In the dead of night, you packed up a few things, saddled your horse, and rode North. You hoped you'd make it in time. You had no desire to bend the knee to Daenerys Targaryen, but you had to see Gendry again. Some people might accuse you of not caring that your husband had just died, but you knew he would have understood. He had been in love with someone else before you married too.

You rode as quickly and safely as you could, arriving in Winterfell just days before a battle was about to take place. The stronghold was armed and ready for a fight. The guards at the gate nearly didn't let you in. It was only thanks to two familiar faces that they moved aside. "Y/N?" The guards turned and you were able to catch a glimpse of your good brother. "Samwell!" The guards moved to let you through. You threw your arms around Sam and squeezed him tightly, thanking the gods he too was alive. It was then that you let your gaze wander to his companion.

"G-Gendry?" You cursed yourself for stuttering. His piercing blue eyes stared back at you as if he couldn't believe it himself. "You're here." You let go of Sam to get a good look at the love your life. He was a bit taller, broader. And he'd cut off most of his hair. You met his gaze again to see that he had been doing the same to you. "This is the...? Oh. I'll, uh, leave you to it then, shall I?" Sam said, knowing who you and Gendry used to be to one another.

"You're alive," you whispered. Gendry nodded. "And you're here alone. Shouldn't your husband be looking after you?" You glared at him. "You know damn well I never needed anyone looking after me," you hissed. Gendry chuckled softly and shook his head. "I know that, Y/N. But seriously, what are you doing here? Does he know you're here?"

"His name was Dickon and he's dead. Queen Daenerys executed him and his father." Gendry at least had the decency to look embarrassed. "Sorry," he muttered. You softened a bit. "It wasn't your fault. And he wouldn't have cared that I came here. He knew I didn't love him. How could I? I gave my heart to someone else a long time again. A blacksmith with noble blood and a bastard name." It seemed to take him a minute to make the connection, but once he did, his eyes widened almost comically.

"Me? You traveled all this way to find me?" You nodded. "Once I heard you might still be alive, I had to see for myself. Even if...if you no longer love me. Even if you despise me. I had to know that you're safe." You looked up at him, waiting for him to say something.

What you got wasn't words. That wasn't Gendry's way. So, it came as no surprise when you suddenly felt his arms wrap around you. His gaze flickered down to your lips and then back up to your eyes, silently asking permission. As soon as you consented, Gendry's lips were on yours, attacking your lips fervently. If not for the sudden cheers, you would have forgotten anyone else was there. Gendry pulled away, took your hand in his, and pulled you after him toward his chambers.

Once inside, Gendry's lips were on yours again, but they didn't stay there. He kissed you all over your face, making you giggle. "I love you, Gendry." Gendry pulled you close. "I want to be with you," you continued. "What about your parents? I'm still a bastard. Still a blacksmith." You shook your head against his chest. "I don't care. I've never cared. If you'll have me, I want you." Gendry chuckled. "If I'll have you? Y/N, I'll always have you. In every way you let me." You felt your skin flush as his warm breath tickled your ear.

*time skip*

You sat next to Gendry, practically clinging to him. After the battle with the Night King's Army, you were so grateful that you were both alive. From the moment you both saw that the other had survived, you had been nearly impossible to separate. It was probably annoying and somewhat nauseating to the people around you, but you didn't care. You had missed out on so much time together and then you both nearly died in battle. You weren't about to let one another go for a while. It wasn't until Queen Daenerys spoke directly to Gendry that you even paid attention to anyone else.

You could hardly believe it when Daenerys pronounced that Gendry was no longer a bastard. He would be given the Baratheon name as well as all the lands of Storm's End and the title of "Lord". He thanked her profusely before turning to you. You let him lead you from the room once all the cheers had died down and everyone had stopped staring at him.

"Can you believe it? I'm a lord! I'm not a bastard anymore." You beamed at him. It wasn't like him to get so elated about things, so you were happy to let him enjoy the moment. "I can marry you," he said suddenly. He pulled you close to him again. "Marry me? Please say you'll marry me? We waited long enough." You laughed and nodded. "Of course I'll marry you, Gendry. You didn't even have to ask. Now come here and kiss your future bride."

Samwell married you and Gendry the night before the army was to leave for King's Landing. He'd had enough training and study with the Maesters to at least do that. You and Gendry decided to travel to Storm's End instead. "I think, if Dickon were alive, he'd want you to be happy,"Sam had told you when you had asked him. You and Gendry headed out the next morning, blissfully happy in your new life. Together.