An Awkward Time (Oberyn Martell x Stark!reader) Modern AU

(Brief mention of sexual things, but nothing graphic or mature!)

Everyone goes through awkward phases in their life but most people have theirs in their adolescence. Not you. Your awkward time came later on in life. You really hadn't meant to fall for your sister's best friend's father. He was a little older than you already, but he just drew you in like a moth to a flame. Oberyn Martell was everything you ever hoped for. But your relationship with him was the most awkward time in your life when your sister was around, especially the day she found out.

You were laughing at something Oberyn said when his daughter came in. "Papa? My friend is here." Oberyn pulled slightly away from you, but kept his hand on your waist. You were practically perched on his lap, but no one seemed to be fazed by it. Oberyn was a passionate man and he made it no secret. "I'd love to meet this friend of yours," he told his daughter, who smiled.

Oberyn turned his attention back to you. "After I meet her friend, I am going to take you out on the boat where we can have some alone time." You smirked as you leaned in to kiss him. Just as your lips were about to touch, you heard a voice you knew well. "Y/N?"

Your head jerked in the direction of the door. "Sansa?" Her auburn brows came together in confusion. "What are you doing here?" she asked. You gave her a look that said "what does it look like?". Your sister wasn't stupid by any means and she knew all about the birds and the bees. "You're dating him? My best friend's father?" You gave a little shrug. "I suppose so."

"But-" You cut off her next complaint with an arched brow. You knew exactly what she was going to say. She was too much like your mother. "If you say one word about how he's too old for me, I will slap you." Sansa's mouth snapped closed and an awkward tension set in the room. Sansa and her friend looked embarrassed, and you were irritated. The only one that didn't seem to be effected was Oberyn.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Sansa. My daughter speaks very highly of you, as does Y/N." You glared at him and he chuckled lightly. "T-Thank you," Sansa replied, ever one to remember her manners. "Come on, Sansa. We should leave them. They tend to get all lovely-dovey right about now." Sansa looked positively mortified at the idea of you and Oberyn showing affection and followed her friend without a word. She already knew too much about your love life and preferences than she ever wanted to.

"She took that well, didn't she?" Oberyn asked, earning a playful smack with a pillow. "It isn't funny, Oberyn! That was the most awkward conversation I've had with my sister since she found my 'special' toys." Oberyn's face lit up and he began laughing boisterously. "You didn't tell me about that." You groaned and hid your face in your hands. "Let's not talk about it now. It was embarrassing. I was just lucky she didn't say anything to our mother. I was still living with them at the time." You refused to look at Oberyn. Having your sister look at you the way she had just ruined the mood you had been in.

"Flower, look at me," Oberyn pleaded. With a sigh, you looked at him. "Sansa will be fine. She simply needs time to get used to the fact that you and I are together. I know it seems awkward for you, but she is your sister and she loves you. She would want you to be happy, wouldn't she?" You nodded and he smiled. "See? Now, what do you say we go out to the boat for a little sail?" He stood up and offered his hand.

The thing about being with Oberyn was that he always knew how to get you out of your funk. He always knew the right things to say or do to cheer you up. And as you took his hand and let him lead you out to the dock in the lake behind his home, you were reminded why you loved him so much.

On the boat, you watched Oberyn. You loved his carefree attitude and his passion for so many things. You loved how he was with his daughters. The age gap meant nothing to you. It only meant he was wiser and knew better than other people your age want he did and did not want in a relationship. That took the guess work out of whether or not he really liked you and enjoyed your company. There were all the little things about him that made him so easy to fall in love with. He was right. Sansa would get over it and things would be a little less awkward after a time, so long as she didn't start asking questions. And in the meantime, you were happy just spending time with Oberyn.