Runaway Bride (Jaime Lannister x fem!Stark reader)

When your brother had taken Jaime Lannister prisoner, you didn't think you'd get close to the Lannister lion. You were in charge of making certain Jaime was fed and given water. Robb insisted it was because of all the Starks in his camp, you were the most patient. You were pretty certain it was because he didn't want to deal with Jaime on his own and didn't trust your mother to do it.

During your time with him, you got pretty friendly with Jaime. He wasn't a bad guy and he didn't seem to dislike you the way he did the rest of your family. You weren't sure why but you weren't going to complain. The two of you got on pretty well. That was something your mother did not miss. However, you never would have guessed what she would do.

"YOU WHAT?!" you screamed, causing your brother's bannermen to look at you. Robb shushed you, but you glared at him before turning back to your mother. You were vaguely aware of Robb ending his strategy meeting so the three of you could discuss the surprise your mother had just dropped.

As soon as the three of you had the tent to yourselves, your mother spoke. "I wrote to Tywin Lannister. I offered an alliance between our houses in order to have your sisters returned to us. Through your marriage to Jaime Lannister." You began to shake with fury. "How could you do that to her, Mother? Why would you? I want Sansa and Arya returned to us as badly as you do, but not at the expense of Y/N's happiness."

"It is the best way to resolve this without more bloodshed. I will not risk losing two more of my children the way I lost your father." You shook your head and stormed off, ignoring her cries of your name. The first place you went was Jaime Lannister's makeshift cell.

"Did you know?!" you snapped at him. He looked up at you, surprise obvious in his green eyes. "What are you talking about? Or rather shouting?" You clenched your hands into fists. "Did you know that my mother sent a raven to your father about arranging our marriage?"

"Our what?!" You wanted to scream, but instead, you left Jaime without saying anything else. You were livid. Positively livid. Not about your mother's choice of husband for you, but the fact that she decided to marrying you off without any consideration for you or your feelings on the matter. You weren't going to lie down and take it. Social standards be damned. You refused to be a pawn in the stupid game everyone else seemed to be playing. So you did the only thing you could think of. You ran.

*time skip*

You ran your hands over your dress as you walked through the corridors of the Dreadfort. After you'd run from your mother, you'd ended up with Lord Roose Bolton. He'd been looking after you and trying to convince you to return to your family. You weren't quite ready to face them yet, so he offered to let you stay a little longer. Now it was time for the evening meal, but there was a lot of commotion around the holdfast. You soon found out why.

You entered the dining hall and froze in place. Sitting across from Roose was Brienne of Tarth and Jaime Lannister. "Lady Brienne. Ser Jaime." Jaime's head snapped up so he could meet your gaze. His hair was longer, dirty, and stringy. His beard had grown out. He didn't look like the cocky man you'd first met. But the most surprising thing about him was that one of his hands was missing.

"Lady Y/N, I am glad to see you safe," Brienne greeted, standing. You curtsied slightly, but didn't let your eyes wander from Jaime. Brienne cleared her throat a little. "Lady Y/N? I've been tasked with returning Ser Jaime to King's Landing...as well as yourself." Your flashed your gaze to her. She blushed and shrunk back a bit from your glare. "Let me guess, for the wedding?" She nodded. You sighed and looked to Jaime once more before curtsying to Roose. "Forgive me. I've lost my appetite. Lady Brienne. Ser Jaime." You left the room, doing your best not to run.

Later that evening, you decided on a warm bath. Luckily, Roose kept the bath houses warm most of the time. You sank into the tub, fighting back a groan as the warm water seeped into your muscles. You were only in for a few minutes when you heard someone else join you. Opening your eyes, you nearly jumped when you saw Jaime sitting across from you.

"What are you doing?!" you cried. Jaime scoffed lightly. "I thought I'd have a bath." You let out another sigh. No sense in arguing with the man. Your gaze fell to the stump where he'd lost his hand. "Have you been able to clean that properly?" He glanced down at it in disgust and then at you before shaking his head.

You bit your lip as you contemplated what to do. It didn't take you long to make up your mind. Not even registering that you were, in fact, naked, you stood and walked over to Jaime. You sat down next to him and unwrapped the injury. "I'm sorry they did this to you," you muttered. With as much care as you could, you began cleaning his wound.

For a while, neither of you said anything. To your surprise, it was Jaime that spoke first. "Was the idea of being married to me so repulsive that you had to run? Am I so bad that you wouldn't want to be married to me?" You stopped what you were doing so you could meet his gaze. "Jaime, I-I...It was never you I objected to. Our friendship or whatever it was is something I cherish. And I could see myself married to you. Loving you. I never wanted to be married off in some arrangement. Or for political advantage. And I especially never wanted to married off at the expense of my safety and happiness just to ensure the same for my sisters. I felt ignored and tossed aside. It was never you."

Jaime didn't reply at first so you went back to cleaning him up. After a few minutes, Jaime called your name. It was so soft at first you weren't certain you'd heard properly. "Y/N, look at me please." You looked up again to find him only a few centimeters away from your face. His remaining hand came up to cup your cheek.

"I am sorry you've been forced into this. I truly am and I will try to break off the betrothal if that is what you want. I cannot imagine you would want to be married to a man who harmed your family and who now has only one hand." You shushed him. "I couldn't care less about that," you told him, "It's your family and King's Landing that I don't think I can handle."

"Then we won't stay." You blinked at him in surprise and he continued, "I'm useless to the Kingsguard now. Father will want me in Casterly Rock. We wouldn't have to remain in King's Landing. And I would strive to be the husband that you deserve, if you'll only give me the chance." You could feel tears welling up in your eyes. "Jaime, are you sure?" He nodded without hesitation.

"I am. I don't know if I feel love for you. Truly I don't, but I think it might be the closest I've ever felt to anyone." You smiled before taking the chance to lean forward to press a soft kiss to his lips. "Then yes. I will marry you. But first we have to get out of the Dreadfort. Roose may pretend to have our best interests at heart, but I know better. At least Brienne and I are in danger...I'm certain Roose is allied with your father. We need to escape and head for King's Landing as soon as possible to speak to your father."

Jaime nodded and the two of you spoke in hushed voices as you planned your escape from the Dreadfort and finished your baths. You helped Jaime redress his wound and then dress. He made a few flirty comments while you dressed yourself that you laughed at. That was the Jaime you'd been falling in love with. You slept in the same bed that evening. "For your protection," Jaime had said. You didn't believe him, but he didn't matter. You were happy to be in his arms. Happy he gave you a choice. And happy that you'd made the right decision for you.