Godmother (Sandor Clegane x fem!reader) Modern AU

(Also slight Arya x Gendry)

Sandor placed a quick kiss to your forehead as the bell rang. You gave him a tired smile. You'd only been home from the hospital for a couple a weeks and you were still exhausted. Sandor was wonderful and helpful during this time though. You never thought your former soldier turned police officer husband would end up with such a soft touch, but he really was a gentle giant. At least with you and your newborn daughter.

"Well don't just stand there. Come in. You're letting the cold in," you heard his raspy voice say. "I'm coming. Seven Hells you're in a mood." You chuckled at young Arya's sharp retort. Even though she was a grown woman now, she would always be "young Arya" to you and Sandor. After all, you'd known her since she was a small child.

Arya rounded the corner into the living room just in front of Sandor. She gave you a small smile that you returned. "I'm not babysitting, if that's why you called me over here," she joked. You chuckled and shook your head. Sandor sat down and you gave him a pointed look.

Before your daughter was born, you and Sandor had been discussing who you thought would make the best godparents for her. Choosing her godfather had been easy. There was no one you trusted with her more than Tyrion. Despite all his shortcomings, he was good with children and he was your best friend. The godmother, however, had been a little more difficult. You just couldn't seem to pick one. Then, Sandor has suggested Arya.

After Arya's parents had died, Sandor was her guardian for a while. It was as if the gods were giving him practice for his own daughter in the future. Sandor knew Arya very well. He had watched her grow and he knew her strengths and weaknesses. He trusted her probably more than he trusted anyone in the world besides you.

As Sandor opened his mouth to say something, your daughter began kicking up a fuss. Your brows furrowed. You were really hoping she'd take a nap. You sighed. You were grateful for the two-way monitor you'd gotten so you could hear her and she could hear you. Pressing the button, you assured your little girl that you were on your way. You didn't realize that you'd forgotten to turn off the microphone when you left the room.

In your room, you sat with your daughter in your rocking chair. That was when you heard it. "So, why am I here again?" You laughed softly. Arya was never one to stay put for long. She was always off doing something or other. "I," Sandor began before stopping to clear his throat and starting again, "Y/N and I want you to be Y/D/N's godmother. Teach her things and look after her if we can't. That kind of sh-stuff." You had to stifle a giggle. Sandor was really trying to tone down his foul mouth.

Arya was silent at first. Then she spoke softly, "Are you sure?" Sandor must have nodded because you didn't hear him reply. A moment later, however, you heard him ask, "What the hell are you doing?" Arya laughed. "It's called a hug." Sandor growled lowly. "I know that. Why are you hugging me?"

"Just accept it, geez." Silence again. You continued to rock your daughter to sleep. You closed your eyes, almost prepared to drift off yourself. You were almost asleep when you heard Arya again. "You know, Sandor, you will be a good dad." You smiled to yourself. You loved these rare tender moments between Arya and Sandor. "What makes you say that?"

"You're the closest thing I've got to a father. You have been for a long time. I like to think I turned out okay. Strong and tough, like you. I can take on anything because of what you taught me. Y/D/N is going to be the same." You sniffled at her words. How was it that she was able to put into words what you couldn't seem to be able to?

Sandor was silent for a few seconds. "Thanks," he muttered, "Now, do you accept or not?" You laughed as he went right back to his usual gruff self. "Yeah, yeah. Of course." With a roll of your eyes, you rested your head against the back of the chair and drifted off to sleep.

That was how Sandor found you a few minutes later, baby asleep in your arms as you slept. Your head had dropped so your neck was at an awkward angle. Sandor gently took the sleeping baby from your arms and moved her to her bassinet. She stirred a little, but didn't wake. You opened your eyes and gave Sandor a sleepy smile.

"Come on. Into bed," he whispered, scooping you up bridal style. You pressed a kiss to the underside of his jaw on the unscarred side of his face. "I love you." He hummed as he carried you to the bed you shared. "Stay with me?" you asked, or rather, mumbled. Sandor wasted no time in climbing in behind you and wrapping an arm around you, being careful not to jostle you too much.

In an instant, you were asleep again, Sandor not far behind you. Meanwhile, Arya was climbing into her car with a grin on her face and her phone pressed to her ear. "Did it go well?" Gendry asked on the other end of the phone. "Yeah. They asked me to be the godmother." Gendry chuckled softly. "I meant did they take the news well, but I'm guessing you didn't tell them." Arya's free hand went down to her stomach. "No. I got too excited about being Y/D/N's godmother. I'll tell them in a few days. For now, I'm going to go get my goddaughter something special. It's time for Aunt Arya to start spoiling her." Gendry and Arya shared a laugh.