I Still Choose You (Theon Greyjoy x fem!reader) Royal AU

Theon watched you from afar with a longing gaze. Why did it have to be this way? Why did you have to be a princess while he was nothing? Just a kitchen boy. He wasn't even the knight he'd wanted to be. How had he been so stupid to fall for someone he couldn't have. The crown was going to be placed on your head, signifying your new reign as queen. And now it was hopeless for Theon.

He watched as lord after lord, prince after prince, came to your father to ask for your hand. He watched in agony and jealousy. Those lords and princes didn't love you. They didn't even know you. They only knew that you were going to be queen and your husband would be the most powerful man in the kingdom. They didn't know you like he did.

The two of you had grown up together, you the princess and him the lowly kitchen boy. You would often sneak down to the kitchens to grab snacks when you should have been sleeping. Then you and Theon would sometimes run off during the day and have fun. You were happy spending time with him just being a normal kid and that didn't change as you grew older. In fact, feelings of friendship had blossomed into feelings of love. A deep and unbreakable love. But that was over now.

Your eyes met Theon's across the room and you gave him a little smile. You gave a little gesture with your head and raised your hand. You were telling him to meet your secret space in five minutes. He nodded and took off. He finished his duties in the kitchen as quickly as he could before he raced to your spot.

You were already there. You turned and smiled at him. "Theon," you whispered. It was that whispered name that broke Theon's resolve. He didn't care that he couldn't have you anymore. He didn't care that you eventually going to end up marrying someone else. He pulled you to him and kissed you. In this moment, alone with you, the meek Theon disappeared and the confident Theon came out.

"I've missed you," you murmured against his lips. Theon didn't answer. He kissed you again and again. You giggled into his mouth as you pushed him away a little. "Theon, calm down. We have the whole night tonight." Theon frowned. How could he tell you that he wanted more than just the night? He wanted forever. You knew something was bothering him in a split second.

"What's wrong?" Theon dropped his arms from around you and ran his hand through his hair. "I don't want tonight, Y/N!" You just stared at him as tears welled up in your eyes. Theon clenched his fists. He hated making you upset, but he couldn't keep it in any longer.

"I don't want you just for tonight, Y/N. I want you always. I'm the one who's loved you since we were children. I'm the one who you run to when you have a problem. I want you with me forever." Theon didn't hear a sound from you for a second. Then, he heard a soft laugh. The laugh grew louder every second. It felt like knives in his back.

"Oh, Theon," you said after your laughter died down, "The reason I came out here was to tell you that I want the same thing. I don't want to marry ANY of those men. I only want you. I've always wanted you. Even if you were homeless, jobless, and completely poor, I'd still choose you. I've loved you for as long as I can remember and I won't let any of those others take me away from you."

"You mean that?" Theon asked as he turned around. You took his hands in yours and gave them a squeeze. "Of course I do. I love you, Theon." Theon stepped closer to you. His hand cupped your cheek. "Say it again," he begged in a soft voice. You smiled. You moved your lips closer to his. "I love you, Theon. I choose you and I don't care what anyone has to say about it." You kissed him again, shutting out every bit of doubt he had. You loved him. You chose him.