Our Family (Sandor Clegane x wife!reader)

Sandor never thought he'd have what he did. He had survived the Great War, survived his brother, and now had everything he never knew he wanted. He was now Lord Clegane. Not that he wanted that, but the perks that came with it were fantastic. He had you. And your son.

The first thing Sandor did every morning was go out for a ride on his horse. It was something he'd done nearly every day of his life and that didn't change now. If you were awake, you'd often go with him and instructed the Maester to watch over your son. Today was not one of those days. Sandor was fine with that because it gave him to time to sit in quiet appreciation of your beauty when he returned from his ride.

He watched as your chest rose and fell. Hair had fallen in your face, making Sandor laugh. You always managed to get your hair, no matter how short unless you shaved it all off, into a completely tangled mess when you slept. He reached over and pushed the hair from your face, causing your eyes to crack open. "Good morrow," you greeted, your voice still rough with sleep. You gave him a tired smile and asked him how his ride was.

He didn't answer right away and you rolled your eyes playfully. With all your strength (knowing it wouldn't hurt the giant of a man), you pulled him down to lie with you once again. You didn't say anything. Instead, you closed your eyes and chose to play with his fingers with one hand while your other propped up your head. Sandor mirrored your movements, but his eyes never left your face. "You're staring again," you muttered as your eyes opened again. You smiled and leaned up to kiss him.

"I adore you, Sandor Clegane." The words were soft, as if you were telling him a secret. It was when you said it like that, that made Sandor know you meant it. It was what made him look at you like you hung the stars in the sky. Not that he'd tell you that. You hated being put on a pedestal. You were his equal, his helpmate, his wife, and the mother of his child. Nothing more, nothing less. At least in your eyes.

Your husband was a man of few words most of the time so it didn't surprise you that your words of adoration were met with him pulling you even closer and kissing your lips fiercely. You hummed and smiled into the kiss. Knowing Sandor, it probably would have gone farther if not for the door bursting open suddenly. Sandor was instant on alert and nearly reached for his sword before realizing it was only your son.

"Y/S/N, I've told you not to do that. You know it puts me on edge," you scolded gently. You had taken part in the fighting in the war just like Sandor. It had affected you in a similar fashion but while Sandor's instant reaction was to reach for his sword, you just became incredibly jumpy and tense. "Sorry, Mother. Father," your son said, looking down at the ground. Even at the age of twelve, he hated causing you distress.

Sandor kissed your head and lead your son out so you could ready for the day. By the time you emerged from your chambers, Sandor was leading your son outside for his morning training. It was the only fighting Sandor did those days unless needed and they ALWAYS trained before breaking their fasts with you. You gave them a little wave and continued on with your duties.

As Sandor trained with his son, he couldn't keep his mind was wandering to your life together and your family. Sandor adored you and your son. You were the lights of his life that he wouldn't trade for anything. He had worked hard to erase the shadows his brother had left in his wake over him, as well as over everyone left in the family's holdfast. His home was now a safe and protected place for everyone who lived there.

"Father?" Sandor was pulled from his thoughts once more by his son's voice. Sandor hummed in response. "Do I train to protect my future bride? The way you protect Mother?" Sandor stopped for a moment. "Aye. Or the queen. Or whatever family you find yourself with." Y/S/N smiled brightly and Sandor swore he looked more like you in that moment than any other. "I want to be like you, Father. I want to protect our family."

Sandor tried not to smile, though he wasn't successful. He was still smiling when the two returned inside to where you were waiting. "What has you smiling so, husband?" you asked. Sandor relayed the conversation he'd had with Y/S/N. You hugged him close. "He has learned the very best of you, my love," you whispered.

Years ago, he would have laughed at that and told you that he didn't need anyone. Now, he didn't care. He didn't care if some people saw him being soft with his family. He would spend every moment being soft if that meant he could be in these peaceful moments, with you in his arms and his son looking at him like he was someone to be proud of, forever.