91

Colby's POV

"Hey squirt, did you want anything to eat?" Cora's dad said as he drove us to the pharmacy to get Cora's prescription. "Yeah...I don't care what though." She said and rested her head on my shoulder.

"I think there's a chick fil a next to the CVS does that sound good?" Cora's dad said as she brought her sleeve to her mouth and nodded. "That's good." I said for her as her dad's eyes darted to the backseat. "Okay." He said quietly then looked forwards again.

I held Cora close to me as we drove down the road. I could tell this attack effected more than any other, I couldn't figure out if it was being it was the biggest one she's ever had or if it's because she couldn't remember it.

We got to the pharmacy and got Cora's prescription before swinging by chick fil a. "What did you want, squirt?" Cora's dad asked as he pulled into the drive through. "Nuggets and a strawberry milkshake." She said quietly as I smoothed her hair down.

I felt her flinch under my touch which caused my heart to seize up just a little bit. "Sorry." I whispered as she shook her head, "my scalp is just tender." She said and looked up at me. I could see the light in her eyes but it was dull, I could tell she was trying so hard to just be happy.

It broke my heart knowing she would always have this problem, but she was so incredibly strong. I expected her to be in the hospital for weeks after what happened, but she bounced back faster than ever.

I wanted to treat her to something special, maybe take her and the girls on a trip. I just missed seeing her smile.

Cora's dad ordered our food then handed it back to us. "Thanks daddy." Cora said quietly as I handed her the strawberry milkshake. "You're welcome, squirt. Let's get you home." He said as she did a tiny happy dance as she took a sip of her milkshake.

"Is it good?" I asked with a laugh as she smiled softly at me. "Delicious." She said then popped a fry into her mouth. I should have known food was going to make her cheer up a little bit, it always did.

When we got home though her demeanor changed again. I knew what was going on in her mind, but they were all false accusations. I wish I could go into her head and just scream at the girl in her head telling her that she didn't deserve any love.

It wasn't true.

"Don't listen to her, Cor. I know Mia has a huge hug waiting for you." I said as she chewed on her lip nervously. "She's not traumatized?" She asked quietly as I helped her get out of the car. "No, that girl bounces back even faster than you do." I said as she breathed a laugh.

I noticed that she was chewing on her sleeve again, which meant she was extremely nervous. "Come on, Cor. Kat said she and Mia have something to show you." Sam said and hooked his arm through hers.

Cora nodded and took my hand as we led her into the house. "MOMMY!!!" Mia yelled as soon as she saw Cora. "Hi sweet girl." Cora said quietly as Mia came over to hug Cora.

"Mommy, we made you things!" She exclaimed as Kat, Devyn, Tara, Jake and Corey came up to hug Cora.

"She's been looking for you guys." Devyn said quietly to me as she laid Olivia in my arms. "Hi, angel. Sorry we left you." I said and kissed her head as Mia dragged Cora over to the kitchen.

"How's she doing?" Corey asked as I shrugged, "She's hanging in there, we have to sedate her in a couple minutes which I know she's probably not looking forward to."  I said and bounced Olivia as she cooed loudly with a smile on her face.

"She'll hopefully feel better though when she wakes up. They kinda want her to reset her brain." I explained as I watched Cora carefully.

She was holding Mia on her hip as she looked at the drawings Mia did for her. I could tell she was trying so hard to keep a brave face for Mia, but her eyes were still dull, fear bubbling underneath them.