57

My head was throbbing to the steady beat of the beeping that was filling my room. "Nooo." I groaned, knowing exactly where I was.

But why was I here?

"Thank god." Colby breathed out as I tried to open my eyes against the world's brightest lights. "Hey Dad, can you turn the lights off?" Colby asked as he took my hand. "Sure thing." Dad said as he walked across the room.

As soon as the lights were off I opened my eyes, "there she is." Colby said quietly and smiled softly down at me as my whole body ached.

"what happened?" I asked and brought my hand to my head. "You got hit by a car." Dad explained as I chuckled, "That checks out. Am I okay?" I asked as Colby breathed a laugh.

"You tell us. Are you okay?" He asked and brushed my hair from my face. "No idea." I said, feeling the rough edges of something on my skull.

"Woah, don't touch those squirt." Dad said as he pulled my hand from my head, "and what are those exactly?" I asked and looked between both of them. "Staples,you cracked your head open." Colby said as I closed my eyes.

"Do I have to get surgery again?" I asked as my lip quivered. "Don't cry baby, you're okay." Colby whispered as he rubbed my forearm gently. "They took you in for a scan, we're still waiting for the results though." He explained calmly.

I frowned and looked up at him as I took in his features. He looked so worried still, the lines on his forehead more prominent than usual.

I reached up to smooth them out but then I saw the cast that was on my wrist causing me to gasp, "damn it." I grumbled and frowned.

Colby opened his mouth to talk but was interrupted by the door opening, "oh hey! You're awake!" The unfamiliar doctor said as he came in. "And very confused." I said as he came up with a small flashlight.

"Well I can help with that, follow my finger." The doctor said as he flashed the light in my eyes and moved finger so I could follow it with my eyes. The light shining in my eye absolutely killed my head.

"So, you had a pretty nasty fall. You're pretty resilient though, with your only injuries being some bruises, a sprained wrist and a concussion." He explained as Colby squeezed my good hand.

"S-so I don't need surgery again?" I asked as he the doctor grinned at me, "your scans came back great. Your skull did a pretty good job at protecting your brain." He said with a laugh.

"At least it did something right this time." I breathed out as he wrote something in my chart. "Should I be nervous that I don't really remember what happened?" I asked and chewed on my lip. "No that's pretty normal. Do you remember anything from today at all?" The doctor asked as I scrunched my brow, trying to remember something.

"I remember getting Mia ready for school...then oh my god! I told her I would be there to pick her up. Also, where's Olivia? Oh my god. I can't believe this is happening." I said and grabbed my head.

"Woah! Calm down, Cor. Olivia is with Sam at the house, Mia is still at school." Colby said and took my hands. "Thank god for Sam." I said and closed my eyes, feeling the deep pain in my head strengthen.

"We are going to keep that cast on for 5 weeks, you should take Tylenol for both your concussion and wrist. Other than that, just rest. Do you have any questions?" The doctor asked as I shook my head slowly. "You got very lucky today, Cora." He said as I looked at Colby and my dad.

They both still had sad and scared looks on their faces, which meant I must have looked rough. "I'm okay, guys." I said and gave them a weak but reassuring smile. "You're sure there was no brain damage?" My dad asked the doctor nervously as he sighed my discharge papers.