21

Colby's POV

"Colby, slow down! You don't even know where we are going!" Meghan yelled as I sped down the hallway in the direction that they wheeled Cora.

"Meghan, I can't leave her!  We have to go!" I yelled as she pulled my arm to stop me. "Colby, listen to me. I know you're scared but she's terrified. She's going to be in a lot of pain from this, both mentally and physically. You have to be calm and you have to keep HER calm. You can't be this frantic in there or you'll get kicked out. Get it together." She said sternly and raised her eyebrows at me.

"Okay. We seriously have to hurry though." I said as she nodded then grabbed my hand and sprinted down the hall. She grabbed two sets of surgical gear and tossed me one set. "Follow my lead. It's really important that you do this right or she can get an infection." Meghan said as she turned the sink on.

I followed her instructions carefully and suited up, "ready?" Meghan asked as I nodded, "yeah." I said but didn't know if I even believed myself.

I was scared out of my mind.

"Come on then." Meghan said then opened the door to the operating room. Cora was on the table screaming louder than I have ever heard her scream before.

One of the nurses was at her side trying to comfort her but she was just screaming. "IM NOT CRAZY!! STOP!!!! PLEASE STOP!" She screamed which caused my heart to absolutely shatter.

"Hey...hey I'm here, you're okay." I said and rushed over to be by her side Meghan went to assist Claire.

"I'm so sorry!! I'm sorry Colby!" Cora screamed and sobbed as I shook my head and wiped her hair from her sweaty forehead as the nurse put a little cap over her head. "I'm not crazy! They tied my arms down l-l-like before!! I'm n-not c-crazy!" She yelled which broke my heart.

She was having an attack.

"Shhh, you're okay sweetheart." I cooed as she screamed out in pain, "can she feel that?!" I asked the nurse in front of me as they cut into her. "No, she shouldn't. They put her under regional anesthesia." She said then turned to prepare the table for the baby to go on.

"Colby...I'm so scared." Cora whimpered as Claire, Meghan, and the rest of the nurses worked to get the baby out of her. "I know baby girl, I am too.." I said and watched as Claire worked.

She usually had soft features and came off as calm cool and collected but in the moment her features were rigid, and she had an intense glare as Meghan handed her tools. I couldn't watch them work for too long though, since it freaked me out seeing all of the blood, so instead I just watched Cora.

"You're okay baby, you're okay." I said as she shook her head, "it's not! I'm so fucking sorry." She sobbed as my heart broke for her. "You didn't do anything wrong sweetie, just breathe for me." I encouraged as Claire pulled the baby out of her.

It didn't cry causing my heart to clench. I watched as they whisked it away, trying to get it to cry.

I didn't even know the gender still.

"Is the baby okay?" Cora mumbled as she cried, "I don't know baby...I don't know." I whispered and watched them work, Claire had turned her back to try and get the baby to breathe.

Every minute that the baby wasn't crying felt like an eternity.

I couldn't tell you how long it took, but eventually the baby did start to cry, causing relief to flood through me.

I let out a deep sigh of relief as Claire turned around, holding the baby up, "congrats on your baby girl." She said then turned around to put her back on the table so the nurses could work on her again.