Part 53

RICK'S P.O.V
I backed away, confused.
"What do you mean? Who?" I asked as I slid my gun back into my holster. Her neck muscles flexed as she gulped. Her legs wobbled as she sprinted out of the house into the woods.

CARL'S P.O.V
She swung the door open, her leg getting caught on a step, but she regained her balance. I glanced over to where she was heading, leaves flying behind her muddy black converse. "Carl, don't go." My dad stated. I glanced down at the unconscious Paige laying on the couch, then I darted my eyes back at my dad.

I shook my head as I heard another door bust open. A boy was heading towards us from the house across the street. "Barricade the door! Hide everyone!" I yelled demandingly as I slammed the door and sprinted off after Elizabeth.

She couldn't that far away. I ran at my hardest, a pain shooting in my side and back. I finally stumbled upon her laying against a tree, her head in her hands. Her knees were pushed up against her chest, and she was crying. "Elizabeth! Are you okay?..." I asked as I knelt down beside her. She nodded her head slightly. "What happened back there?" I added. She sniffled and looked up at me, her eyes were puffy and red. "I just didn't want to talk about it. And what's your name?" I just realized I hadn't told her my name.
"Carl..."
She gave me a weak smile and I took her hand, and pulled her into a tight embrace. "It's okay..." She relaxed as I rubbed her back, trying to comfort her. Then, I felt her tense up. "C-carl..." I pulled her back, looking her in the eye. "What?" She just stared beyond my shoulder. I turned around and saw a boy, bloody and bruised.

"Hey, little sis...why'd you leave?"