Part 15

PAIGE'S P.O.V
Carl ran down a leaf covered hill, carrying me. Dodging every tall tree in his way. I cried into his chest, his baby blue button up shirt becoming soggy in one spot from my tears. He was huffing and puffing as he finally reached the bottom of the hill. "Okay...let's...stop here." He took deep breaths as he sat me on a log. "Are we gonna be safe? Without anyone?" He took me into a tight embrace,"Yeah...I'll keep you safe." Then, he collided our lips, gently.

I smiled weakly. "We should start moving a little farther. They could be anywhere..." I nodded in agreement. He handed me my crutches. "Let's try these bad boys out!" I slipped them under my arms and started limping in the woods. Crunch, crunch, snap, crunch, crunch, snap. I walked on leaves and twigs. The ground was covered with them. I carefully picked my way rough the objects scattered across the area. "You know we will find the group, no doubt..." Carl said not facing me, but just walking forward. "I mean, I guess...I just-" I was about to finish my sentence, but I didn't notice the tree stump I was walking into. I tripped over it, flinging over the stump and landing face first into the soil. "AHHHH!" I screamed as I looked down to see a stick lodged into my side.

CARL'S P.O.V
I spun around on my heels as I heard her scream. "PAIGE!" I ran up beside her, and looked at her wound. I'm glad...the stick wasn't in there that deep, but deep enough to hurt. I turned her on her back and rubbed the side of her face. She was breathing heavily with more grunts of pain. "It's okay...just don't think about it, look into my eyes." Her eyes adjusted to be straightened with mine. I slowly pulled the stick out of flesh which made disturbing gushing sounds. "Just look at me..." I said not taking my eyes off of hers. She nodded slightly. I finally got the stick out and she sighed in relief. I unbuttoned my shirt, quickly. I slipped it off and tied it around her waist. "I'm just gonna have to give up everything to save you, aren't I?" I said, jokingly. She giggled, trying to hide the pain. "I'd be fine with that..." I added.

I decided that I have to carry her cause I would NEVER leave her behind. I picked her up, again. And we traveled on. "The group will find us any minute." I heard crunching of the leaves and twigs. Maybe it was me. I stopped in my tracks to listen. Crunch, crunch, snap. Crunch, crunch, snap.