Part 122

CARL'S P.O.V
I ran. Faster than I ever had before. I dashed past trees, any obstacles. Just trying to get away. As far as possible.

"ROSE! DARYL! BETH! SOMEONE!" I screamed, slowing my pace. Realizing I was alone.

I walked around the woods. I already was already lost. I was far from lost. I was practically dead.

I could hear the crunching of leaves under my feet. I kept my hands in my pockets, head down just watching were I was walking. I walked straight.

"You don't miss any of them... They all hate you..." I mumbled to myself.

After about an hour or two of walking alone, the woods started disappearing. I entered a new terrain. A terrain full of dead bodies. Trash. Dump.

I plugged my nose in disgust. The smell was horrid. I examined my surroundings.

Piles of dead bodies. They had either never turned or already had and were killed.

Loads of trash. Rusty old cans. Rotten food.

I squatted beside a pile of used belongings. A doll that was covered in dirt and mold. A book that had many pages torn out of it. A tore up blanket and pillow. A half eaten apple.

I am pretty hungry and this is better than nothing. I picked up the fruit, examining it.

There were holes in it. "Worms..."

I prepared myself. A few deep breaths, shake myself off a bit. I sunk my teeth into the side of the apple.

Not only did I feel the texture of the apple, I felt something slimy. My eyes went wide as I felt the object squirm.

I spit it all out, almost throwing it up. The chewed up fruit was spewed everywhere on the dirt beneath me. So was the half eaten worm.

I wiped my mouth in disgust, turning around to head back. I was stopped. A girl stood in front of me, something in her hand.

She swung it back, aiming right for me. I dove to the side, slamming onto the ground.

I looked back at her in fear. She had a sledgehammer. Orange handle. Black metal on the tip. It was huge!

"What do you think you're doing taking my stuff?" She asked at me, angrily.

"I-I didn't know it was your's!"

She looked over at it, then smacked the sides of her thighs in defeat.

"That was my last apple!"

"I'm sorry! I didn't know!" She reached out her hand, so I blocked my face.

"I'm not gonna hit you!" She laughed. I looked up and grabbed her hand.

She yanked me up with ease. Like having the muscle power of men.

"Who are you?" She said, leaning the sledgehammer over her shoulder.

"Carl... You?"

"Ha! Carl! So original!" She said, sarcastically.

I scoffed. "Well, what's yours?" I was getting agitated.

"Diana."