{53}

Chapter {53}

Emrys Belle:

I hear a light humming surrounding me as I slowly come to my senses. Light fills the void space around me as images become clearer and the sound ever so slightly louder. I rub my eyes and adjust my position making me grimace at the pain in my lower abdomen.

As my eyes adjusted to my surroundings and the pain I remembered I was in the hospital as the sanitiser smell hit me as I took a breath in. The humming was persistent, catching my attention again.

A man was standing, more like swaying actually, from side to side his back towards me but I knew that build of a body from anywhere. Damon turned around, his face calm and eyes full of love towards the little wrapped up baby in his arms.

"You might want to wipe the drool from the corner of your lips away." he joked, gently rocking our baby.

"I wasn't drooling." was my clever reply.

"But you were staring intently." he shot back, a smile gracing the corner of his lip.

"I'm a doctor, I was simply checking you for medical reasons."

Damon only smiled back making my heart flutter then focused his attention back on the baby in his arms.

"She's beautiful." was all he said.

He walked closer towards me, my palms sweating with nerves. This was our baby and the last time I held her I blacked out completely. He handed me the baby making sure I was holding her correctly. He was right, she was beautiful. I took a moment just to take in her features, from her rosy cheeks to her little fingers peeking out of the blanket. I just couldn't help the smile gracing my lips. I kissed her forehead making her let out a little yawn and stretch.

"Damon?" I spoke after a beat of silence.

"Yes, my sunshine." he sat on the chair beside me.

"What happened to me?" I lifted my eyes to meet his.

I could see the sadness cloud his vision as I spoke my words to him. Damon proceeded to tell me what happened after I gave birth and all I could do was hold my daughter that little bit tighter towards my chest and not want to let her go.

"How did you get your memories back? What triggered you?" I couldn't face him, everything still felt too raw.

"I started having little snippets come back to me when I came back from the hospital but instead of you, I saw Melodie. Some memories were foggier and I couldn't quite make out your features. You were there but then so distant. I always felt drawn to you, your presence around me definitely helped and the night of the gala, confronting Jeremy was what really hit me. I did not want him anywhere near you, I knew he was trouble. I remembered our first encounter, our first kiss, our first date, the first time I met Aj... it all came back to me." he confessed.

He reached out for my hand allowing me to still hold our daughter.

"I also started to remember other things," he added, taking me by surprise.

"What other things?" I questioned.

"Very distant memories. It was once I started to remember you, us, it was like Pandora's box of memories was opened up and all the darkness took over the world." he scrunched up his eyebrows and looked down to our intertwined fingers.

"Memories that I thought were nightmares when I was a child. The kind of nightmares that keep you up at night with the monsters beneath your bed."

He was so cryptic about how he was talking about these resurfaced memories. I didn't know much of Damon's childhood aside from all the stories that Everleigh had told me of him growing up once they had adopted him. Damon was only a young child, a year or two older than what Aj is now, how could you remember such things almost twenty-two years later?