{28}

Chapter {28}

Paul Jackson:

"I've got sunshine on a cloudy day..." I hummed holding Emrys close in my arms.

"When it's cold outside I've got the month of May" I continued rocking her to sleep.

"Well, I guess you'd say, What can make me feel this way? My girl." I sang softly in her ear.

Carter would always sing that to her to make baby Emrys sleep.

I had stayed a few more hours with Emrys, just talking about Carter and it not only did her a world of good but for me too. I missed talking about Carter, I missed him so much it almost killed me, I missed talking to him.

Being with the little dove and that boy of hers felt like I had one last thing that I had of him and I was not about to let that go.

Emrys had already put Aj to bed so there was no need to worry about him. All I needed to do now was to put Emrys to bed just like when she was a child although now she was a full grown woman.

Once I was sure she was completely asleep, I scooped her up in my arms putting an arm around the back of her knees and back. I carried her limp body back into her room and tucked her in.

She shuffled a little before settling back and turning to her side.

"I love you," she mumbled in her sleep as I was stepping pass the threshold of the door.

I sighed, a small smile creeping onto my lips.

"I love you to my little dove."

***********************

Emrys Belle:

"Mama. Mama wake up. Mama, I'm hungry. mama ." I was poked repeatedly.

"Mama is tired Aj." I moaned taking him in my arms and tackling him to the mattress making him squeal.

"No mommy!" he giggled as I attacked him with kisses all over his face.

I continued to kiss and cuddle him until I was now fully awake and ready to make my baby some food.

We made our way to the kitchen. I sat him in his chair and let him play with his cars while I made breakfast. As usual, I made him toast and poured him a glass of apple juice while I drank a much-needed cup of coffee.

I looked at the time and saw that it was already 6:30 am. I sighed and got Aj dressed and ready for daycare. I slipped my scrubs on and a hoodie over my top ran a brush through my hair and cleaned my face.

All I could think about was all the stories that Paul had told me about dad yesterday. I have missed out on so much and instead of listening to the stories everyone from the gang and the Mortimers could have told me about him, I chose to get angry at all of them.

I knew I had to call Damon and apologize for being so harsh on him. I decided to phone him and arrange for us to talk later on once I have finished work.

I sat on my bed while the phone rang, and rang over and over again until I was met with his voice mail. I tried again getting the same result. I sighed and left him a message saying that we need to talk tonight.

I dropped Aj off and headed straight to work.

---------

I did consult after consult all throughout the morning, shifting between the emergency department to the ICU and the rest of the time I checked up on patients and wrote reports.