{36}

Chapter {36}

Damon Mortimer:

"Damon? Have you seen my phone?" I heard Emrys yell from the living room.

"Have you checked the kitchen counter?" I yelled back as I helped Aj slip his t-shirt on.

"Found it!" she exclaimed excitedly making me shake my head.

"Damon?" I heard a few minutes later as I was putting Aj's socks on.

"Yes my Sunshine." I called back.

"Have you seen my work badge? I thought I left it on the table by the keys but it's not there." she rushed into Aj's room standing by the door in her pink scrubs.

"Have you looked if it was in your coat pockets?" I suggested picking Aj up into my arms.

She dashed off, almost tripping over in the process.

"Got it!" I heard her voice as I was making my way to the living room.

"You are the best." she gave me a quick peck before picking her bag up and slipping her coat on.

She gave a kiss to Aj and gave me another one before heading to the door.

"Umm Emrys?" I spoke up making her stop in her tracks.

"Yes?" she turned around, her blonde hair in its ponytail falling around her shoulders by the movement of her turning around.

"Keys?" I suggested, nodding my head to the table by the door.

"You are a godsend! I have been so forgetful recently." she sighed and got the keys and blew me a kiss before she was off to work.

I chuckled silently at her erratic behaviour. God, did I love this woman.

I proceeded to make a quick breakfast for Aj then spent most of the morning either playing with Aj, doing some house chores, making business calls and catching up with Wolf about the whole Freyah and her murderous grandfather.

Next up I got Aj ready to have lunch out, making sure to pack his green and red cars. I was still on the search for a blue one like the one Jeremy stole. I have not been comfortable with the idea of Jeremy lurking in the shadows so Emrys and I have collectively decided to cut back on his daycare. Simply because I can protect him better this way. Of course he still goes in at least twice a week because he still needs to social interaction, especially with kids his age. And hanging out with Luke and Lloyd is not the best thing because they are little trouble makers, especially Luke.

I strapped Aj in the car, my nerves building as we got closer and closer to the restaurant I asked both Ray and Paul to join me at but before that I wanted to spend more quality time with Aj so we stopped at a nearby park, the one where all us Mortimer kids had at least one birthday at.

Aj had stayed sat next to me on the bench, happily playing with his green car. He refused to run around the park, but I didn't mind.

"Buddy, what would you say if I were to ask your mummy to marry me?" I suddenly asked him.

He stopped running his car along the back of the bench and shifted his little body so that he was facing me.

"You got mummy a car?" he asked.

I nodded, confused as to why he was asking me this.

"You cuddle with mummy and give her magic kisses?" he inquired again.

"Yes, I cuddle your mummy and we have magic kisses." I confirmed.

"Will you protect mummy?" his deep brown eyes shining in the afternoon light staring deep into mine.