{68}

A/N: brace yourself for a long one

Chapter {68}

Damon Mortimer:

The van slowly pulls up into a road that seems all too familiar to me. I stare out the window, letting my mind drift to past memories that all come rushing back to me like a freight train.

"Damon? Are you okay?" I felt Emrys' hand on my shoulder jolting me back to reality.

"Yeah. I just know this place." I grumbled which was enough to get Emrys to stop from asking further questions. She knew what I meant.

I was glad to have Emrys tucked to my side as I stared out onto the street I grew up on. Looking at the house that I thought only existed in my nightmares. The house Everleigh promised to save me from. I never tend to think back to my childhood, the one before I became a Mortimer. It wasn't a happy one and I had to learn what being loved and appreciated felt like. What having a family was like and I will forever be grateful for the family that chose me and always resentful to the family that birthed me.

I held onto Emrys a little tighter as the van came to a complete stop. This was real. I had to face my demons to save the family I had created.

I kissed the top of Emrys' head, breathing in her fresh apple scent that I had come to fall in love with. If I could lock her in the van to keep her away from all the ugly that we are about to be faced with I would. I know that she would probably find her way out and put herself in unnecessary danger and I would never forgive myself if something were to happen to her.

We stepped out of the car, I immediately started to put her in a bulletproof vest. I'm not taking any chances, if there was a way to have her in bulletproof full body armor, shielded away and boxed up completely I would have done that. She's too precious to lose and I already have my son in a less-than-pleasing situation, not knowing how he's doing, I can't let anything happen to my sunshine.

"Is this really necessary?" Emrys huffed a piece of fallen hair out of her face while I continued to strap her in her vest.

"Yes," I grumbled making sure it was on properly.

"Can I have a gun?" she asked, fluttering her lashes up at me.

"Absolutely not."

"Why? Everyone has one." she pouted.

"Exactly. Everyone has a gun, ergo, you don't need a gun." I concluded.

She huffed again, this time to show her annoyance towards me.

"You can't have a gun but you can borrow one of my knives." my mum piped up from the side of me, showing off her rather large collection all nicely and safely stored in their leather casings. Emrys didn't waste a second picking one out and admiring the blade as it shone in the bit of sunlight that was left in the day.

"She doesn't need a knife either mum." I shot a warning glare in her direction which I quickly regretted judging by her demeanor and the fact she was holding a very sharp and deadly object in her hands.

"She needs something to defend herself and if not a gun or a knife what should she use? A daisy? A smile?" Mum started.

"Besides, that knife is in very capable hands." she smiled at Emrys only boosting her confidence while brandishing the weapon in the air. I gently put her arm down in an attempt to prevent Emrys 'accidentally' slashing someone.

"Fine. but only that." I caved. Both mum and my sunshine high-fived in victory before mum walked off back to dad and Carter who were mapping out the property one last time and putting people in teams.