{46}

Chapter {46}

Emrys Belle:

Those midnight snacks have been Damon and I's meet up times. Neither of us seem to find sleep in the early hours of the morning, granted it had only been three days since Damon had been discharged from the hospital but nevertheless I would savour those short moments we had together when no one else was around.

"Damon, please come in." I professionally asked as I opened the door for him in the little infirmary that the Mortimers had in the house for me to use to do my daily check-ups on Damon.

"How are the headaches this morning?" I asked, taking a seat at my desk as he followed me and sat in one of the seats opposite the desk.

"Still there but a lot less painful, they are more of a dull pain," he explained.

"Great, if they do get worse for any reason I want you to tell me then go sit down somewhere quiet and preferably in the dark then take a pain killer and just rest, we don't want to stress your brain any more than it needs to be. So just take things slow and if something seems familiar or jogs your memory then write it down and don't push to remember." I spoke, not being able to meet his eyes.

Of course, I wanted his memory to come back and fast for that matter but he cannot be rushed in the process if not it would cause more harm then good.

He nodded and leaned forward, drinking my every word. We moved to the bed so that I could check his vitals and see if he was responding well to the medications and change his bandages. I worked in silence, the sound of our breaths in the air as I made sure he was fine, his eyes following my every movement. I got to listen to his heart, listening to the steady beat bringing me a sense of calmness that he was still here, he was still alive and the price I paid for that was Damon no longer remembering me but at least he is here.

I was so lost in thought that I did not realise that Damon was talking to me.

"Umm?" I took the stethoscope away from my ears to around my neck and waited for Damon to repeat himself.

"Your phone keeps ringing." he pointed out, " don't you need to get that?"

I just stared straight into his chocolate brown eyes, the ringing sounding in the background not bothering me at all until it stopped.

"I'm sure it's fine, I'm meant to call my son but he can wait for a little until I finish," I concluded and continued with checking Damon's vitals.

"Doctor Belle, your phone is ringing again. Don't you want to at least see who it is?" Damon suggested.

I took a breath and walked over to my desk where my phone was and took a quick glance seeing that it was Mia.

"It's my sister. I'll finish up with you and then phone her back, it's probably my son asking to talk to me." I chuckled under my breath and set the phone back down on my desk.

Damon Mortimer:

She put her phone back on the desk giving me a smile as she waddled her way back to me, clipboard in hand she sat down on a little stool with wheels, wheeling herself closer to me jotting a couple of things down. Not before long, her phone started ringing again, showing her aggravation she let out a huff.

"Honestly, it's fine, take it." I nodded towards the buzzing phone on her desk.

"Go," I reassured, taking her hand to help her get back on her feet again.

A light blush came upon her cheeks at my touch and I felt a little flutter at her reaction, my eyes not able to leave her figure as she made her way back to her desk.