{66}

Chapter {66}

Emrys Belle:

"So let me get this straight." I started, now pacing the room trying to process the revelation that Jeremy had just done.

"My stepfather, Steven, is the one behind all this crap that has been going on and you've been helping him because you made some shady deal with him when you were sixteen because your parents kicked you out and had nowhere to go and he took you in."

"So far you've got it right," Jeremy confirmed.

"Then, because of that he decided to have you be involved with me and try and lead me down the criminal route but that obviously didn't work out because I got pregnant. Was that part of his plan?" I couldn't help but ask if my life would have been different had my mother never met Steven.

"Aj was an accident, you were never meant to get pregnant, that sort of held up his plans which is why he made me cheat on you on our wedding day. I didn't want to, he made me do it or he would hurt you and the baby and I just couldn't let that happen. So it was easier to be horrible to you to keep you safe than to stand up to him. You don't know how cruel of a man he is birdie."

My eyes grew wide. My breathing labored. How did I not notice these things? How did I not know? I continued pacing, trying to get my thoughts in order and my breathing to a normal speed.

"Why? Why have you cheat on me? It must have made things worse because I had to move back with them and live with them for years. Nothing is making sense."

My mind was racing. I had no idea how any of this made sense and why target me. I knew Steven never liked me, he made that perfectly clear to me that I was not welcome or part of His family in any shape or form.

"All I know is that when you ended up with Damon his anger and hatred just grew. Which is why I came back into your life. He wanted me to be the blame, to be the one you hate and accuse of everything bad that's happened to you and it's clearly worked judging by the state of me." he half chuckled at the end but ended in a coughing fit making me wince at the pain he must be in.

"I still don't get why he would want me dead though." I tried again to understand.

"Steven has never really given any of us an explanation as to why he wants you dead but if I had to place a bet I would say it's either to do with your dad or Damon and his family. I'd say a mixture of both." Jeremy confessed nonchalantly.

I paused again, taking in a deep breath. I ran my hand through my hair, gripping at my roots as if that would somehow make all these thoughts running around my head make sense.

"Look Birdie, that's all I know. I can tell you where he is but you have to promise me that you won't go. Let Damon and his family handle it. You have to stay somewhere where you are safe because he will kill you. He's not a stable man and something has clearly upset him to the point of no return." Jeremy pleaded.

I slowly nodded, his ice-blue eyes catching the light as he stared into my soul. I knew he meant it, he wants me safe but I'm not about to sit back and watch the world go by.

"I promise."

I was lying.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not long after my discussion with Jeremy, we all returned back to the house. I was quite vague about what Jeremy and I had spoken about. I knew Damon wanted to interrogate me but I was not ready. I needed some space to think about what my next move will be. I was in two minds about letting the Mortimers know what I now know.

"Care to share what's on your mind?" I turned my head around to face the voice that spoke to me.

Everleigh stood there, a cup of tea in both hands, one pushed in my direction which I graciously accepted, the warmth of the cup warming my hands up. I had slipped outside to the rose garden while the others were still discussing what to do next.