{19}

Ermys Belle:

I starred out the window and watched the cars go past as we drove alongside them. Then I remembered what Aj's teacher had told me and decided to start that conversation but Pablo had other ideas to break the silence that was looming in the car.

"So Aj what did you learn today?" he asked, a new found happiness in his voice as he spoke to my son who was sat next to him in the back seat.

"We talk about animals." was Aj's short answer.

"Oh yeah? Did you learn the sound they make?" was Pablo's next question.

They continued talking back and forth and it made me smile a little seeing that Aj was actually engaging in conversation with someone he didn't know and to me, that was an improvement.

My eyes then shifted to Damon who seemed very concentrated on the road. Pablo than took his chance and reached for the OX cord and plugged his phone in blasting in full volume 'what does the fox say' and sang along horribly which made Aj laugh.

I leaned back into my seat then remembered about the wrench. I bent over to pick up from the floor where I had left it and sat back up showing it to Damon.

"Know anything about this?" I questioned making Damon shift his eyes quickly to see what I was holding then focused on the road again.

"Yeah, that's what my mate gave Aj for helping fix the car he was working on." he shrugged as if it was nothing.

I sighed and ran a hand over my face.

"Damon, I can't be dealing with this. Aj is only three and there he is threatening other peers with a wrench! If you want to take over this role of being a father figure for him, well guess what? Giving him a wrench is not the way to go." I sarcastically clapped back.

"He was happy, that's good enough for me." his jaw ticked and his eyes kept shifting from the car mirrors to the road.

I leaned at the back of the car to get the nappy bag that was at Aj's feet to put the wrench away, Aj happily falling asleep and Pablo changing the music to his heart's content.

"EMRYS SIT BACK IN YOUR CHAIR!" Damon yelled taking me by surprise.

"What?" I asked confused looking at him.

"NOW!"

I didn't have time to register what was happening when a gun was fired breaking the back window of the car. Damon held me down so that the bullet didn't touch me then let me sit back in my seat.

"What the hell is going on?" I asked starting to panic.

Aj was crying and Pablo jumped into action and started firing back at the car that was following us.

"Sit still," Damon commanded swerving the car to miss the bullets and the cars coming from all directions.

Damon got a gun out of the glove box and started multitasking, driving and shooting at the same time out the window.

I was trying to calm Aj's cries as best as I could, terrified that a bullet would get to him.

This is all a big mistake, I knew I should have kept away and minded my own business that night in the street.

"I got one car down," Pablo shouted over all the noise.

"Oh no, there's more," I yelled back and changed gun and started shooting again.

This was getting ridiculous.

"Damon let me drive the car," I spoke calmly.

"What? No. You sit and don't move an inch, I don't want you hurt." he pleaded and took a sharp left.