{41}

Chapter {41}

Emrys Belle:

We walked into the hospice. Aj was clinging to my hand and Annie was on the other side of me. I was so nervous I could feel my pulse vibrating all throughout my body.

"Hello. We are here to visit Mr Adam Bellantuono." Annie spoke to the receptionist behind her desk while I just looked around.

This place looked so familiar but I know I have never been here before, or at least I have no memory.

But the dusty yellow walls seemed like a distant memory.

Annie lightly touched my arm bringing me back to reality. She gave me a small smile those brown eyes that she shares with my son letting me know she was family and she knew why she was bringing me here.

We walked past several different rooms, corridor after corridor, all the different nurses all dressed in white going in and out of the rooms, some with trays others helping the resident walk out of their room and into a common living space.

We changed into another corridor, one with blue walls this time. I felt like I knew the way, I knew where I was going and who I was going to. My legs just took off by themselves as I walked ahead of Annie who was leading the way and took it upon myself to follow my memories.

I stopped in front of this door. It was like each of the other doors I had walked past in this building but I knew it was here that he was here.

I gave a light knock with my other hand and then stepped in letting Annie catch up with me.

The smell of disinfectant and old person hit my nostrils like a bus but lingering in the air was the smell of something familiar, of someone familiar.

I had been here before, I know I have deep down and the thought of that brought tears to my eyes.

My gaze was set on him. On the old, wrinkled and tired looking man that was sitting in a rocking chair by the window looking into space. He hadn't heard Aj and I walk in nor did he seem to notice anything at all.

Aj was calm, a little too calm. He wasn't tugging at my arm to leave, he wasn't rocking himself of making grabby hands. He held his car and was using my leg as a racecourse rolling it up and down my thigh.

"Dad, it's me, Annie. I'm back again and I brought guests." Annie's voice rang in the silence of the room.

She stepped closer to the old man to make her presence known to him but he ignored her and started humming "my girl" by The Temptations.

"He has Alzheimers. He doesn't remember anything aside from many, many years ago. He still thinks your dad is alive." Annie commented, a lump forming in my throat as I stood there, frozen.

"Why is the old man singing mommy?" Aj suddenly asked out of the blue, his eyes trained on the car he was playing with.

His voice seemed to have caught the attention of the old man, my grandfather, as he turned his piercing blue eyes meeting mine.

"My little dove?" he asked confused looking at me from head to toe, my round belly clear to him.

"Dovey," he called out again to me, his eyes filled with a spark I don't think Annie had ever seen before.

I took a deep breath and swallowed the lump in my throat. I walked over to Adam with Aj following me, his hand still in mine.

Aj sat on the floor letting go of my hand and proceeded to play by himself.

"Bampy." I smiled and took my grandfather's frail hand in mine giving it a light squeeze.

"Where's your daddy my little Dove?" he asked me looking behind me, his eyes searching for his son's.