{69}

Chapter {69}

Song of the chapter : 'Something in the Orange' by Zach Bryan

Paul Jackson:

The air was thick the moment I stepped foot into the house. Flowers were everywhere. White roses graced each surface, the smell filling my nose, overpowering everything else.

You could feel the sadness fill the air. Even the weather outside reflected the general atmosphere of the day.

God do I hate funerals.

I walked towards the kitchen knowing I'd find Everleigh there, probably making tea for everyone and snacks for the kids trying to keep herself busy and be the perfect hostess, and sure enough she was. Most of the kids were running in and out of the garden, blissfully unaware of what today meant for all us grown-ups. Aj, however, was sat in the corner of the little table Leigh has for the kids in the kitchen by the bay windows, lost in thought.

Luke sat with him, neither of them sharing a word. I had never seen Luke so calm with someone and not pestering them by talking a million miles a minute but I think he knew Aj needed someone by his side. It was lovely seeing their friendship blossom like Damon and Kendyn growing up.

I let out a sad sigh and gracefully accepted the hot beverage Everleigh handed over.

"I know. Sweet isn't it." she nodded towards the two boys.

"Yeah, bittersweet," I concluded and sat at the table with her.

I can't begin to imagine how Aj is feeling at this moment, losing a parent in such a horrid way. A part of me was glad that Aurora was too young to remember any of this, but at the same time knowing she will grow up with no memories at all is what devastated me the most.

That day has been haunting me for weeks, the scenes playing in my mind over and over again like a broken record.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I didn't like how long all of this was taking. I didn't like that we had no contact with anyone inside the house. Kendyn had gone round the back to see if he could see anything without any luck. My guess is Steven must have bugged the place so that our intercoms would be cut off in certain rooms in the house. I had no way to see what was going on and all I could think about was that dreaded night all these years ago.

I feel so stuck and helpless. Carter Junior was back in his car with Aj and Alex making sure he was fine, giving him some water and snacks.

I couldn't stop myself from pacing in front of the van. I knew we couldn't go in and help because there was too much at stake and would just make the situation worse. I had faith that they would all come out unscathed but that faith died down very quickly when the incessant sound of gunshots rang into the night.

Everything went by in slow motion. I ran to the house followed by Kendyn. Screams pierced the air as we made it back into the house. I ran into the living room, my eyes scanning the scene laid out in front of me.

Everleigh was crying, being held back by Asher who was trying to keep his tears at bay. Steven was shot dead in the corner, blood everywhere making it hard to determine who was shot or not. Then my eyes fell upon Damon and Emrys. Blood surrounding them. I fell to my knees beside them.

"She's not breathing." was all Damon could utter. Clinging onto his love.

Her once golden hair was smothered in her own blood. My heart was shattering, piece by piece.

Damon was putting pressure on a wound on her neck, desperately trying to stop her bleeding but I knew it was too late.

"She can't leave me. You can't leave me Sunshine. Please." he sobbed, leaning down to hold her closer to him.