The Water Keepers

Season 5- Episode 9

"How much further are these Water Keepers anyway?" I spoke up, looking at George as we walked through some trees.
"At this pace we should be there within fifteen minutes." She replied. I sighed, it still didn't feel like fast enough, I'd only just accepted 10k to be a part of my life again, now he was suffering with alcohol poisoning, and I wasn't there to help him. "Hey, he's with Doc, he'll be fine." Warren assured, placing a hand on my shoulder and gently squeezing. I smiled, looking over at her, "I know."

That's when a scream took over my mind, it was a male talker, and it wouldn't stop. "I know that look. What is it?" Warren turned, eyeing me with concern.
"Talker." It was all I could say, before running towards the source of the sound. Eventually, Warren and George began to hear it too, the pair drawing their weapons and becoming alert as the scream grew louder and louder, until Doc, 10k and the Talker came into view. The scream rippled through my body, sound turning into pain, until Warren picked up a stick, bringing us silence. "That's enough out of you."  She snapped. We quickly set Doc and 10k free, before Warren looked at the Talker, then me. "Do it. He's too far gone." I said the words, but in my mind guilt arose, he was still talking, he was just as alive as I was. "He wasn't going to make it much longer, come on, we gotta move." 10k took my hand, pulling me forwards just as an arrow flew by our heads.

"I've never been so glad to see you, Cheif!" Doc called back as we took into a run.
"I'm not the chief you need to worry about." Warren replied.
"Duck!" We all dropped, narrowly avoiding arrows, all except for Doc, who let out a sharp cry. "Keep your heads down!" Warren called, and we did so as multiple Natives circled us, weapons ready. "We're not here to fight you. We're not your enemy. Look." Warren raised her hands, daring to kneel up, so we followed suit. If she went, we went. I looked at 10k, "you ok?" I whispered. He nodded, the two of us raising our hands, which were immediately bound in front of us.

"Move." I scowled as I was shoved forwards, our group being led onwards until one of the women let out a whistle, and more Natives came into sight. "Good looking out, Little Foot. We did kill a couple Zs over at Redbird Rock. What we got here is worse." The leader informed.
"Bombers?" The little boy asked.
"Could be. I'm bringing them in." She moved aside to untie the boundary rope, and Warren looked at the boy.
"Hey, precious. You were bombed too?" She asked.
"Lotsa times. Got hit by a zombie ball too." He replied, before a 'shh' kept him quiet.
"Hey, Little Sister, listen.." George stopped as the woman turned, bow ready.
"Easy. Okay? Patience. They haven't hurt us." Warren reminded, forcing a smile.
"Speak for yourself." Doc spoke up, looking back at the arrow in his leg, clearly unhappy with his situation.
"Okay. Killed us. Yet. Look, something tells me if she wanted you dead, you'd be dead." She told him, "we need to wait and watch."

Suddenly Warren was tugged forwards, the rest of us following on, at least until I was stopped. They looked me up and down, eyes full of judgement. "What? You got something against blue people?" I asked, raising an eyebrow when I got no reply. Then I noticed the group were getting further away, and I tried to follow, but was stopped. "Warren! 10k!" They turned at the sound of my voice, and 10k tried to turn back but ended up being shoved to the ground. "Hey, do as they say, okay? We'll see you soon." I met Warren's eyes, before nodding and looking around at the group again. Little Foot walked closer, a question clearly on the tip of his tongue. "Ask. I don't mind." I smiled, kneeling down.
"Why are you blue?" He asked. I opened my mouth to give the vitamin excuse, but then I remembered the Grand Canyon. I remembered the rock we'd been pictured on, in the centre of it, two blue people. These people were good, and I had to play my cards right. "I'm immune. You see, when this all started I was used to test a vaccine. There was an accident and I was bitten, few years later I began to turn blue and here I am." I explained.
"Are you a Murphy? The Blue People?" His eyes filled with hope.
"Little Foot." A sharp warning caused him to step back slightly, but I didn't move.
"I am." I nodded.
"How do we know you're telling the truth?" It was a woman who spoke now, stepping towards us.
"You don't. Not unless you take me over to your Talkers by the dam, then I can prove I am who I say I am." I chose my words carefully as I stood up, knowing I'd just given them some evidence.
"How do you know we have Talkers at the dam?" She questioned, clutching her bow tighter.
"Oh, right, there's your proof." I shrugged, a small smirk toying at my lips as Little Foot nearly bounced in excitement. "You are her."
"Yep." I nodded.
"Cut her loose. We apologise for this." The woman bowed her head a little, and I moved my wrists as they were freed.
"No worries, I just need to get back to my people." I smiled at her.
"Follow me."