Home Sweet Zombie

Season 1 - Episode 5

We had found our way to a small house, it was lined with an electric fence so we could relax for a while without having to worry about zombies. I sat with 10k on the sofa whilst Cassandra slept on the other. Murphy and Doc were playing cards, Warren and Garnett drinking coffee, Addy and Mack had disappeared upstairs. "Water?" I asked standing up.
"Yeah, please." 10k replied, and I nodded before heading to the kitchen. As I walked past Doc and Murphy burst out laughing.

"You two high already?" I joked, as I grabbed two glasses out for water.
"Nah, inside joke." Doc replied. I shook my head as I walked back over with the glasses in hand. I placed one on the table, before heading to the living room and handing 10k the other. "Here, drink up." I said, and he smiled.  I went and sat at the table, sipping on my own cup.
"Aww, look at that. Already taking care of each other like a married couple." Murphy teased as I sat back down.
"Shut your mouth or I'll shut it for you." I growled, hiding the blush that spread on my cheeks.
"Just admit you like him." Doc whispered, and I shook my head. But before I could continue the protest Warren and Garnett ran inside, "puppies and kittens! Time to go!" Warren's shout was enough warning, drugs and cards flying into Doc's bag. "Everyone out the back!" Warren shouted as we legged it outside into the truck, taking off.

As we stopped to collect gas from a rogue car, Citizen Z came over the radio again. "Hey I hope guys are getting this, Addy and friends. You guys gotta seek shelter immediately because this is bad. And...when you seek shelter immediately you guys need to contact me and tell me where you are. And I'll update you with further instructions okay? Alright well this is Citizen Z and I'm signing off." I looked up at the cloudy sky, sure enough it was tornado weather.
"I ain't stopping just because some punk with a satellite says so." I turned my attention to the discussion going on.
"Okay, hang on. Am I missing something? You did not drag my ass this far so that man kind's hope could get sucked up by a tornado, did you?" Murphy cut in, Warren huffed before getting back in. With that we were off and heading to Castle Point where we took shelter in Warren's old house.

When we entered, Murphy and I flopped into the chairs. "Home sweet.."
"Zombie." Murphy cut me off and I stuck my tongue out at him. That's when Warren turned and rushed at Murphy. "Get out of that chair! Go on and get out of there! That's my husband's favourite chair!" She demanded, dragging him up.
"All right," Murphy groaned sitting beside me instead.
"Uh, upstairs is all good." Addy spoke up as she came downstairs with Mack. Then we heard coughing and the group disappeared into the kitchen, leaving me and Murphy alone. "Hey I need to speak to you." I said facing him and taking a deep breath.
"Sure, okay." Murphy looked across at me.
"I, I was also..." I was cut off by the group bringing a wounded in, kicking us off the sofa and to the window where the storm was getting worse.

"We need to get out of here before this storm hits." Murphy said turning to Garnett.
"And go where, huh?" He asked joining us by the window.
"What are we supposed to do, just sit here and hope it misses us?" I replied, "that was sarcasm." I added for the sake of my own amusement.
"The basement is secure. We can ride it out down there. Let's just gather supplies before it hits." Warren told us, as 10k and Cassandra re-entered the room.
"Kitchen was pretty well stocked up," 10k informed.
"There's water and canned food, no medical supplies, no batteries though. " Cassandra added, smile fading.
"We need to get our communications up. You two go out in the neighbourhood. See what you can find, don't go far. Be sure to get back before the storm hits." Garnett ordered when Rick, the injured man, spoke up.
"Janey, what are all these people doing here? My parents will be home for dinner any minute" he asked, delusional.
"Is he gonna make it?" Garnett asked Doc.
"Is that a serious question? I don't know, he got cracked on the dome." Doc responded clearly clueless.
"Okay, I for one do not want to be trapped in a basement with this guy when he starts craving brains." Murphy complained.
"And once again I second that!" I sighed and Jane stood up.
"Don't mind them, their mamas didn't raise them right." I rolled my eyes, of course, I mean mine made me take a live Z virus.
"Well if I had the proper meds or a first aid kit.." Warren cut Doc off.
"You know the fire station may still have first aid supplies." She pointed out, Garnett moving away from us to speak with Mack.