White Light

Season 2 - Episode 2

"Stop." Murphy whispered as a car drove past ahead of us, we stuck to the fence, then we ran back around through the houses, using the tree shadows as cover. We slowed down as the stranger appeared, running back the other way, as he pulled out his taser. It was silent other than the sound of gunshots, and we were too focused on running to speak. We hopped a fence, still being chased by the new guy, only when we started to lose him, our instincts attracted the Zs. "Shoo! Shoo! Go home!" Murphy shouted, they only turned as our predator appeared.

We stopped to catch our breath behind a yellow truck, finally I let go of Murphy's hand. "You alright?" He whispered, I nodded, before groaning at the Z running over. "Oh, cut us some slack." Murphy mumbled, before waving it off. Only to see it get shot down and a woman get out of a car. "Excuse us, ma'am? I was wondering if we may be able to catch a ride with y.."
"Dad!" I pushed him out of the way, taking the impact of whatever the lady shot. He stood up, staring at her, before spotting Cassandra, who jumped on her, taking her down instantly. "Jordan? You alright. Come here." I took his hand, groaning as we started again.

Only to watch Murphy get knocked down by a black blur. "Oww! Stupid jerk!" He complained as I pulled my knife, pointing it to the attacker. He stood up, that's when I recognised 10k. "I'm sorry." He said, before pulling out rope and walking to Murphy. I stood in front of him,
"I can't let you do this Tommy." I spoke, he looked to his right and before I knew it he was flying across the floor. "No!" I looked at the launcher, before growling and sending him running, chased by Zs. "Jordan, come on!" Murphy tapped my arm.
"Get up!" I called back at 10k, ordering Cassandra to leave him alone.

"We need to hide. And get rid of this lot." I stated as we gathered a crowd of zombies around us, Cassandra at the front. "I know, come on, this way." Murphy replied, pointing to the apartment buildings. "You guys are killing me!" Murphy complained at our crowd. We ran inside, panting and turning around. "You guys ever consider how annoying this might be?" Murphy questioned. "I mean seriously it's like a guy can't even think. I appreciate it, I do. But this is our dance space, and that is your dance space." He rambled on.
"Hey, check that out." I pointed at a similar zombie, pale blue in colour.
"Well, hello handsome." Murphy grinned putting his suit jacket onto the undead. Cassandra kept them back, whilst we sprinted upstairs.

We kept going up to the second floor, then into the corridor, and in a room that had a working door, slamming it behind us. "Shit." I cursed seeing nowhere to go.
"I ain't gonna hurt ya, guys!" Came a shout. "It's all good!" I did a spin, before my eyes followed Murphy's to the wardrobe. We nodded at each other, climbing inside. The door opened, the stranger called for his friends before entering. "We're so stupid! The one hiding spot in this whole room." I cursed in my head.
"Well you didn't seem to have any better ideas." I jumped at the sound of Murphy's voice in my head.
"We'll discuss this when we aren't being hunted." I looked at him as he nodded, jumping as the guy sniped off of the balcony. Then the door burst open and Doc ran in, throwing his empty gun at the stranger before charging into him. They fought for a bit until Doc was pinned, and he stabbed the guy. "Let's go." I whispered, causing Murphy to slam the door open.
"What's up Doc?" Murphy mumbled, before dragging me out, ignoring Doc shouting our names.

"Where are we going?" I asked as he dragged me on, my legs were hurting.
"Roof." Was all he replied, as we ran upstairs. Soon, he opened the hatch and we climbed out. Gunshots and zombies were all that could be heard, inside and outside of the building. "All this for us." I sighed as we looked out at the streets, full of destruction.
"All this because of Citizen Z, still trust him?" Murphy asked, I shrugged.
"He was right about Kurian, but this...this is far worse. You're right, being human is worse than being a zombie." He wrapped his arm around me, rubbing my upper arm. I felt myself crying,  despite my efforts not to, and a single tear tricked down my cheek.

"Hey, it's over." Came Warren's voice.
"Yep. We're done." Murphy turned, as I wiped away the tear. Warren started to speak with him, whilst 10k snatched me away, holding me close. "You're okay." He whispered, kissing the top of my head.
"Yeah, I guess I am." I felt Murphy pulling me back, the link we had was growing. "I love you." I kissed him before turning, running into Murphy's open hand, linking it with mine as we jumped.

Falling, falling, slowly until we landed with a crunch into the pool of zombie pillows. "Let's get a car." Murphy said, running towards a garage. He quickly lifted the door and I followed him inside, where he started it up. He stopped as we spotted Cassandra, I shuffled into the middle after opening the door. "Get in!" We called, jumping as the window was smashed and Addy hit Murphy with her bat, before dragging him out.

"Hey! Addy!" I shouted, running out and pushing her off of him as he fell. She pushed me down as well, before punching Murphy again. Cassandra ran over and I jumped up, putting a hand on her arm. "Stop! Stop!" Murphy ordered as she calmed in my grip.
"Addy!" Warren shouted.
"Hey! Hey! That's enough!" Doc helped to pull her off. Warren took her over to the van, as Doc helped Murphy up and I ran over. "What the hell? What did I ever do to her?" He questioned, dabbing his lip with his sleeve. Addy stared, taking heavy breaths, before retreating into the truck. 10k handed Doc rope, before taking my hand, ensuring I didn't run this time. They all pointed weapons at Cassandra, "come on." I said, pulling away from 10k and climbing in the back of the van with her.

"Why'd you keep running?" 10k asked, sitting next to me, glancing behind to Cassandra every once in a while.
"Why'd you keep chasing us?" I responded, leaning onto Cassandra. She sat, unmoving, watching everyone with a close eye.
"I couldn't leave you, not with the bounty on your head."
"You mean the one that your so called friend out on us?" I snapped, Addy raised her bat, the tip at my neck. "It's okay." I whispered to Cassandra next to me. "She won't hurt me. I'm just a kid." I gave Addy a grin, she pulled away.

"I'm sorry. We didn't want Mack to die." I apologised.
"Yeah, well he did." Was all she responded, turning away.
"So, who's the new shithole in the front?" Murphy asked, looking at the stranger, who had tracked us well.
"Vasquez." 10k replied, taking my hand. "Where'd you get these?" He asked, running his thumb over the leather accessories.
"Actually, Murphy picked them out. You like them?" He reluctantly nodded, before planting a soft kiss on my cheek.
"Don't run from me, when you're ready I'll be here." He whispered, I looked into his eyes.
"I know." I held the tears back before shifting to face Murphy.

"So, this link?" I started.
"Yeah, why is it we shed and get to speak with each other through telepathy?" Murphy asked, like I knew the answer.
"Fuck if I.."
"Language icicle." I rolled my eyes.
"Well, I have an idea. We can speak with zombies, and we are half Z. Only explanation." I informed he nodded.
"This might actually be quite useful, can you untie me now?" He raised his hands and I laughed.
"Uh...sure, when we get out of the enclosed van full of people, who want you to stay tied up." He grunted a response.
"You better, or I'm disowning you," this time I gave him a look to say you're an idiot. "You would disown me?" I repeated pretending to be hurt.
"You know I wouldn't, I was joking." He seemed to buy it, leaning forwards to take my hand. As he got closer I flicked his head, "I know you were, dummy." I smirked and he shook his head.

"Anyone else not hear the first bit of their conversation?" Doc spoke up.
"Nah, I didn't hear it either." Warren replied, the whole group confirming it. Me and Murphy grinned, "that because we didn't want your heads butting in." I said, earning funny looks.
"Yeah, that's something that I would mind." Murphy added, only us two getting the jokes.
"Just shut up." Vasquez demanded, giving us death stares.
"Or what, V?" I asked, he pulled the taser making me instantly shrink back, getting a grin from the new comer, who also looked at Murphy, before turning back to the front. I leant on 10k and slowly fell asleep, it was nice to be back, but I didn't want to be a lab rat. Not for anyone.

"Hey, wake up. Jordan." I rubbed my eyes, groaning, as 10k moved a strand of loose hair from my face.
"What's happening?" I asked, sitting up properly and realising everyone else was gone.
"No gas. Come on, everyone else is outside." He replied, opening the door and helping me out. Murphy walked up to me, hands out and I pulled my knife. "Jordan." Warren spoke up, looking at me.
"Really? You expect me to leave my own dad tied up." I sliced through the rope before we set off into the fields. Heading East away from the fallout, and into fields of nothing.

This life, this world...it was tiring, but I had a strong, capable team by my side. Unfortunately that was a team that I couldn't completely trust...