Goodbye July

When I opened my eyes, tears flooded out. I scrambled over to Lucy, who was now an old woman, with her hand over Murphy's heart. "No, Lucy. Why couldn't you just listen to us? Why did you do that?" I questioned, rubbing my head and wincing in pain.
"I couldn't let him die, Jordan. You need him, just like I needed you." She whispered, and took my hand too. I looked up at Murphy, he was healed, and I could feel him again.

Lucy tried to get up, but she fell down, and I rushed to catch her. Murphy and I pulled her onto his lap, holding her close as we wrapped our arms around one another. "Don't cry." Lucy pleaded, looking up at us.
"We'll try not to." We replied, holding her tighter as my vision blurred.
"It's all right." She promised. I shook my head, wiping at my eyes to try and hold back the tears.
"How are you feeling?" Murphy asked her.
"I can hear my heartbeat." She smiled, her four year old brain taking action.
"I can feel it." Murphy nodded, smiling, "I feel both of you."
"It's all right. It's Ok. It's almost over." Lucy promised as we sniffed.
"No, please." I squeezed her hand, just as I had to Murphy minutes ago. "Don't say that." We pleaded.

"I had a good life. My life." She whispered, before looking up at me. "I promised Addy that I'd help you to make sure we all stick together."
"We're right here. We're right here."
"You tell Addy I tried. It's not your fault, Jordan. It's not. It was my turn to save you." She paused to take another breath, "you saved me so many times, you find her, for me." I shook my head as her eyes began to close, shaking her lifeless body. "No! Wake up, please. Please, wake up. Come on Lucy, please."
"Jordan, Jordan, stop." Murphy shook his head,
"Wake Up!"
"Jordan, please, she's gone."
"No! No! She can't go, she's my little sister. She can't die! We promised we'd stay together!" I screamed, holding Lucy with all my strength.
"Jordan!" Murphy took my hand, holding it up, stopping my movements and meeting my eyes.

"She's gone."

I froze up as a hand landed on my shoulder, looking up to find Warren with tears in her eyes as she knelt down. She lay a kiss on Lucy's head, and I leant into her, shaking with sorrow from the loss. I'd just lost my other half, and she'd taken a piece of my heart with her. "Let's get her out of here." Murphy said, standing and placing his jacket over her body. 10k walked up to me, taking my hand, but I pulled away.

I walked outside, meeting eyes with the Zs and shaking my head as they all looked down. "She's gone." They all growled, and allowed us to walk Lucy out, where we built a pile of old wood, and wrapped her in an old sheet. I picked some flowers for her, weaving them into a crown and placing it over her head, "I'll miss you, Lulu." I whispered, kissing her head through the sheet, before turning around again. Murphy handed me her jacket, "she'd want you to have it, you're growing out of that one." I nodded, putting it on, tears dripping down as I pulled the leather tight, walking to the side of the group as we gathered around.

"Lucy." Murphy was the first to speak as we looked at her, "I'm sorry." He said, falling silent as tears fell. The five of them stood together, I stood alone. I didn't want to be comforted, I know I could've stopped her. "We all loved you, Lucy." Doc was the next to speak, "from the moment you clawed your way into this world, we knew...you were special. As you wove your way in and out of our journey in this big ole world of hurt and darkness, you were the bright spot. Freaky little blue bright spot. And in your short time here, you damn near saved the world. So as another doctor once said, 'Let's not cry because she's gone. But let us smile, 'cause she was here'" Doc met my eyes, and I mouthed a thank you for his words. Then 10k looked at me, pulling out a flare, and I nodded, watching as he tossed it into the wood and lit her fire once again.