Zombie Road

Season 2 - Episode 3

We had been walking for about half an hour, when Murphy started to complain. "We are going the wrong direction. Again." He spoke up.
"You left us no choice, too much fallout in the west." Warren said, aiming the reply at me as well.
"Again. That was not our fault." We defended ourselves, we had said it many times.
"Guys, don't make me have to explain the term fail safe doomsday weapon again. Please." Doc pleaded, looking at us.
"How do you even know California's still there?" Murphy asked as we stopped on top of a hill.
"You're looking ripe. You better hope it's still there. Move." Vasquez ordered, pushing Murphy forwards.

He turned around with a glare, "you are not the boss of me. She is." Murphy growled, looking behind Vasquez to Warren. She walked forwards, "I can handle this." She pushed Murphy herself, "move." She waved her arm in front of her and Murphy stared.
"Gladly." He smiled, mimicking her action with his own arm, before continuing forwards. I pulled away from 10k and flicked my head, gesturing for Cassandra to follow me, as I pushed between Warren and Vasquez. Cassandra copied, except she pushed Vasquez more causing him to stumble slightly as we caught up with Murphy.

"I hate that guy." I complained, looking at Murphy as we spoke.
"I know, he thinks he can just barge in here and boss us around. Just because he has a taser." I nodded in agreement.
"Well the taser part is pretty annoying." He grinned as we walked on, speaking in our heads. We sat down on nearby rocks, waiting for the rest of the team to catch up as Cassandra massaged Murphy's shoulders. Warren took 10k's scope and scouted the road below us, I jumped as a truck barged in and gunshots were heard. "Don't get out the truck." Warren spoke up as it slowed.
"It's gonna be a slaughter." Addy pointed out, walking to stand beside Warren.
"Can't expect to travel through a valley without an ambush. Didn't nobody ever watch westerns growing up?" Murphy asked, I shook my head.
"Only got to see tv about once a month, if that." He stared at me shocked.
"You're missing out." Murphy replied as the group departed, Doc coming to stand near us as 'guard' or whatever.

Suddenly, I heard a static growling sound, there was something here, something new. I stood, Murphy and Cassandra also hearing it, did the same. "Stay behind me." Murphy whispered, sandwiching me between them both. I scanned the distance, my mind leading me to a zombie who sat, head flinching every now and then. Doc turned to us, "everything alright zombie three?" He asked, noticing our odd behaviour. We stayed silent, the noises started to fade until they had gone. "Yeah, let's go." Murphy replied, taking my hand and making sure I was close to him as we walked.

We walked down the hills and sat on a truck, perching on the edge whilst staying alert. "I didn't like that, did you see it?" I asked.
"Yeah, we need to be.." He went quiet as a guy called 'Wrecking Ball' sat beside us.
"Hydration?" He asked, we shuffled across slightly and he pushed it towards us.
"Is there somewhere else you can sit?" Murphy questioned, agitated by the boy.
"Yep." He quickly stood and walked off, I took out my knife and started to polish the blade with a spare piece of cloth I had found. That's when I heard it again, bolting upright and seeing something run off. 10k saw it too as he scouted the field with his sniper. It left us alone again and we gathered around Sam to talk.

"Three days ago we tangled with some bounty hunters." He informed us.
"Bounty hunters, huh?" Murphy repeated beside me.
"We don't want to kill you they said. We're just thirsty they said. But I think they were out of their minds. They kept rambling on about some half-zombie, half-human, people with telekinetic powers. Like a world overrun with zombies isn't strange enough. " Sam told us, I looked away.
"Yeah those...those crazy rumours." Doc laughed slightly, looking at me and Murphy who stayed silent, awkwardly staring at the ground. "Let's get on the road. Saddle up! Edmonton awaits!" Everyone dispersed, Murphy keeping me close.