The Vanishing

Season 4- Episode 3

"What do you think happened to them refugees?" Doc spoke up, and we looked around. Murphy then looked back at him.
"I think Lieutenant Buzzcut was right. I think they realised no help was coming and got the hell out of here." He replied. Doc went quiet again, his face creasing as he thought. All of a sudden a loud crash came from the medical tent. The three of us looked at each other, and that was all it took to know we were going together.

Upon running into the tent, we found Warren fighting a man. Doc instantly ran forwards and pushed him away, Murphy grabbed a nearby crutch and Warren drew her gun. As Murphy rushed forwards, Doc held out his hand. "Wait a minute. Wait a second. I know this guy." He said, and I watched as the man shuffled away, hugging his knees tight.
"What?" Warren asked, still aiming her gun.
"I know him." Doc repeated. Murphy looked at him.
"Who the hell is it?" He questioned.
"That's Burgess. He's one of the refugees." Doc moved forwards, crouching down beside him. "Hey buddy. Hey, it's Doc, your friend. Look man, you're safe now." Doc put a hand on Burgess' shoulder, but he just stared at the floor. "Burgess, what the hell happened to everyone? Can you answer me, man? Where did everyone go?" Burgess just stared, sweating from his fear. I looked between Warren and Murphy, "hey, lower the weapons. He's terrified, trust me, it won't help." I stated, smiling as Warren put her gun away. Murphy shook his head, keeping hold of the crutch.

"Listen to me. I need to know what happened here. Where did everybody go?" We turned our attention back to Warren, who had taken Doc's place beside Burgess. "Come on, Burgess! You got to help us out, man. Are we safe?" This time, Burgess shook his head, causing Murphy to grab my arm and pull me closer to him. "What? You were expecting a different answer?" He said to us as I reclaimed my arm from his grip.
"So, what you saw, was it alive? Or was it something else?" Warren asked, Burgess shook even more.
"All right, man. Hey, hey, okay. Breathe. Breathe. Okay?" Warren looked back at me, nodding gratefully.
"Now hear me." She turned back to Burgess, "I need you to pull yourself together. I need your help. Our friends are out there, we need to know what we're up against."
"He's zombie gaga. I've seen it a million times." Murph spoke up, getting a well earned glare from Warren as she stood up.
"Get outside." She ordered.

We all walked out, but I made straight for the canteen of water, pouring some into a cup and heading back into the tent. "Hey, there. My name is Jordan, alright? I've brought you some water." I bent down holding out the cup. He continued to shake, and I sat down completely, crossing my legs. "Look, I don't know what you saw, but I do know one thing, we need you. So, take as long as you need. We'll be outside when you're ready to talk to us." I assured, watching as he slowly unfolded, taking the cup from my hands. I smiled, patting his shoulder as I stood up, and left him to think.

"Anything, sweetheart?" Warren asked as I rejoined them.
"Not a word, but I gave him some water." I replied. She let out a sigh, "alright then." With that, the three of them went back inside.
"Lucy!" I called out, wandering towards the tent. "Oh, LuLu." I chimed, laughing as she rolled her eyes at me.
"Stop talking like I'm a baby." She snapped, running her hand over a shotgun.
"Cool choice, oh, and no. You're my baby sister." I teased, poking her nose and looking at the guns myself.
"Remember how to use it?" I asked, looking back at her.
"Yeah."
"Good." I turned back to the weapons, pocketing a pistol, and grinning as I found a knife. "Now this is what I'm talking about." I swung it a little, turning around and showing Lucy. She chuckled, following me back outside.

That's when we heard the bushes rustling at the edge of the forest, along with heavy, slow footsteps. "Tell the others." I said to her, aiming my gun as I watched the tree line.
"Hey! Something's coming!" She shouted back to them, before standing at my side, shotgun at the ready.
"Stay with Burgess!" Warren told Murphy, taking her stand next to me. Doc grabbed his own gun, standing the other side of Lucy. Murphy looked at us, "Lucy! Jordan!" He called us back. I shared a look with her, grinning as she cocked her gun. He didn't know what we could do when put at risk, Addy was the best teacher.