Batch 47

Season 2 - Episode 4

I sat up as the car stopped and the others got out, ignoring the screams from Wrecking Ball as Cassandra took him out, gaining his jacket. "Hey, Jordan. You coming into the lab with us?" Murphy asked, leaning through the window.
"Yeah, sure." I mumbled as I climbed out and he wrapped an arm around me as we walked into the complex.

Once inside, we stood at the back of the crowd listening to who looked like the leader, he was ranting on about batch 47, a herbal zombie cure. The crowd rushed forwards, desperate for the chance to go inside the greenhouse and take the seed pods needed. "Maybe we don't need to go to California after all." Murphy raised an eyebrow beside me, as the crowd dispersed and we headed to the main lab.

"Hold it right there." A guy instantly stopped us as we entered.
"We need to talk to your boss." Murphy informed.
"No you don't, you need to go wait in the garage with the other harvesters." The guy argued.
"Oh, he's gonna want to hear what I have to say." We went to walk forwards but he aimed his gun, and Cassandra let out a quiet growl. "What's wrong with her?" The guy asked.
"Not a damn thing!" I cut in, standing forwards of Cassandra.
"If you're here for Z weed we're closed for retail sales. Come back tomorrow." The boss spoke up from the back.
"We don't want Z weed. Although she might." Murphy gestured to Cassandra. "I have a proposition you're gonna want to hear." And with that, we had two minutes.

We wandered over to the jars which held zombie heads, "interesting conversation piece." Murphy commented, whilst I turned to play with a hand.
"What is this?" I asked reaching forwards to touch the green hand.
"It's a phyto-zombie, part zombie, part plant." Came the reply, as I let Murphy have a go, swirling the finger.
"How'd you do that?" Odegard asked.
"It's a gift, perhaps you've heard of us, may we?" I gestured to the 'test subjects'.
"Sure." Odegard replied, allowing us to walk over. Murphy removed the glass, and placed his hand on the Z's cheek. "You're The Murphys." Odegard finally realised, and I shushed him. "Okay if you're The Murphys, let's see the bites." I rolled my eyes.
"Oh ye of little faith." With that, I rolled up my sleeve and Murphy his top.
"I thought you were a myth, some post apocalyptic rum or...You know like zombie Bigfoot." Odegard stated.
"Oh we're real, question is...how real is batch 47?" Murphy stepped closer to him.
"Oh it's proven effective..." I could tell a test, and science rant was coming, so I patted Murphy's shoulder.
"I'm gonna take a walk, send Cassandra out if you need me." I whispered, walking away.

As I walked outside, what I planned on being a nice stroll was cut short by a scream and growl. I jumped back from the greenhouse I was passing as the human fell at my feet, the zombie being dragged inside by vines. "Jordan!" Murphy shouted running out.
"I'm okay dad!" I called back, moving away from the corpse.
"Okay, that fresh kill is gonna trigger a growth spurt. Let's go, harvesters you're up." Odegard ordered as they wandered inside, I looked away. "We're going back inside, this time stay with me." Murphy said.
"Yeah, that's not a problem." I replied, happily following them inside.

Cassandra was handed a vape, and happily puffed it, I grimaced. "You're practically making her a druggy." I spoke up.
"Whatever you say Jo." Murphy smirked back, and I set myself the task of climbing into the roof. It wasn't much, but after five minutes I managed to climb onto a pipe and settle down, of course it was short lived as we set off outside, again. "Ugh, Whyyyyy." I complained, as I followed them to the greenhouse.

We stopped at the entrance. "I love the smell of zombies in the morning." Murphy stated taking a deep breath in.
"Which way?" I asked, wanting to get this over with.
"Follow the machete marks." Odegard replied, not what I wanted to hear.
"Stay here." I whispered to Cassandra, who nodded as the three of us headed in.

Inside was overgrown, and full of unseen zombies. I leant into Murphy as I got a stabbing pain, by the way he flinched I knew he felt it too. "What? Why'd you stop?" Odegard questioned.
"Got a stabbing pain. I'm all right, Jordan?" Murphy looked down at me.
"Let's go." I replied, nodding in reassurance. As we were walking, Odegard called Murphy, he walked backwards and we spotted the Z. Murphy leant forwards taking charge to control the attacker, it slowly retreated but didn't leave. "Let's go," Murphy whispered, leading us on. I spotted a small sign in the mud, "46. They tested this batch. The results were promising but it had lethal side effects." Odegard informed, leaning over my shoulder. I leant over in slight pain, Murphy mirrored my actions. "You okay?" Odegard asked us.
"I can..."
"Feel them." I finished Murphy's sentence.