Chapter Forty-Eight: Stay With Me

~ Naked   ❀  James Arthur ~

Not one thought was crossing through my head as I stared out at the familiar LA sight

I was numb.

I haven't checked my phone since I got here, but I could hear it buzz almost every minute like an annoying reminder that time was still passing. I didn't care enough to check, though. I needed this time to just... sit still.

It was chilly tonight, chilly enough for me to grab a random navy blue hoodie in the back of Lexi's car that she most likely left there for instances like these.

Besides the buzzing of my phone at my side, the cooling hood of the Nissan under my thighs, and the honks of angry LA drivers below me, there wasn't much else that I wanted to focus on.

I was supposed to be thinking. I was supposed to be coming up with an impossible decision that would leave me hurt either way.

Either I pursue music like I have finally decided to do after so many years and possibly lose my family forever or stick to the path that was paved for me and be a doctor and most likely...lose myself.

I've always been able to choose my family when making decisions, so why is it so hard for me to choose them now?

It's probably because every time I chose them, I still had music. I had both, or as Hannah Montana would say: I had the best of both worlds.

But this time, I wouldn't have music. It would be the end of a dream I always had.

Maybe my mom was right. Maybe I was being ridiculous. Music can't give me the future medicine can, so why can't I just give it up?

I take a deep breath, wanting to clear my head again and to focus back on the sounds in front of me: the buzzing and the angry honks. I even lay my hand on the hood to feel that it's now cold, signifying that it hasn't been on for a while now.

Deciding that I should check the time, since I feel like I've been here for hours, I grab my phone at my side. It's already midnight. God, I've been here for almost two hours.

I check to see various texts from Lexi and Aiden asking how it went.

L: Hey, babes! Did you tell them?

A: How did it go?

I just skimmed over the majority of the texts and missed calls but the last ones had me a bit worried.

L: Please, answer Mari. I'm freaking out. Aiden said you haven't answered him either so where the hell are you??

A: Torres, You're killing me. Call me, now.